It's a RUG! run, fly, squwak and hide.......

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by scooter147, Nov 30, 2011.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Over this past weekend I let the chickens run around the yard ( I need the dogs outside when I do as we have a horrible hawk problem). I was doing a little house cleaning and took the rug from in front of the backdoor out onto the stoop for a good shaking.
    The chickens were relatively close as they were all looking for goodies in the yard. The first good whip of that rug sent panic throughout the flock. I mean it was an EXPLOSION [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] of chickens. They ran, flew, hide in every direction possible.
    I never gave it a thought it would freak them out so. I guess the very sudden movement resemble a quick moving predator.
    The panic was so that my neighbor who was doing dishes noticed and called and asked me if something was after my chickens.

WHO KNEW

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    [​IMG]

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    WOOOOOOOOSH and then silence, it is a funny thing to witness ,just goes to show ya they are aware of things around them ,which could save their lives one day.

4. baldessariclan

baldessariclan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Yeah, ours hate it whenever we hang up big stuff like sheets/blankets on the clothesline close to the chicken house -- sometimes they won't even come out if wind is blowing the laundry around a lot.

5. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    and this is why they are called chickens

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:I find laundry blowing around on the line relaxing for some reason. Strange I know.

8. cybercat 2

cybercat 2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2011
    I love chickens and their silliness.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Why that's not silliness. They are just in a constant state of training. You never can train enough. Might come in handy someday.[​IMG]

10. cybercat 2

cybercat 2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2011
    Quote:Ba-ha-ha! [​IMG] Now I have a mental vision of chickens in headbands and track shorts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by