its a sad night....quail down ;o;

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mibotsu, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    so my wife calls me while i'm at work to let me know my only male coturnix has died. i get home and check him out, looks as if he was pecked at (odd for being the only male in there) they have been on the same manna pro gbs 24% since i've had them, which is basically how long i've been a member. he was pecked at but there was no blood so i'm guessing they did it after he died, my only guess is that he got flustered, flew up and broke his neck, i buried him in the backyard as he was the only male, and my first, its very sad [​IMG]

anyone have any other ideas, i've already checked the coops for any enterances from the outside, all the 4 hens are perfectly fine with no issues

on a side note, i have been giving them one tablet of 500mg VIT C per 26oz water container(there is only one in the coop) mainly to deal with the heat and to help egg production, i'm just glad that i got 18 eggs incubating before he passed

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry about your male quail. I do not have an answer for you but wanted to say how sad I am for you. [​IMG]

3. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    thanks, the only good thing is he served his purpose before he passed in giving me fertile eggs to incubate

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    He will live on thru his offspring. [​IMG]

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    The Girls Are Likely To Stay Fertile For A Couple Of Weeks Too [​IMG]

6. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    yea, thanks all, i went to turn the eggs tonight before bedtime and thats the one thing that popped into my mind, he's got offspring.

i guess a quail is a quail, but its always something when its your first

7. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    sorry bud. yup, circle of life, he has offspring...
    and I'm sure he had it very good while in your care.

8. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    yes its just so odd lol, he was putzing around and humping his brains off this morning lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by