it's about dang time theose freeloaders start earnin their keep...EGG!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by doubled, Jan 5, 2010.

1. doubled

doubled Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Madrid, New Mexico
    got home from work yesterday and did my usual chores. decided i should do a walk around to make sure the chicken yard was in order. happened to glance in one of the egg boxes that i have never even seen any of my girls in and there, sure as the day is long, was a brown egg. i dunno which one of them did it but i was so happy i could have kissed them all. i had sort of given up on them till spring.
    it's been a long time coming but i'm sure glad its here. only bad thing was, to add insult to injury from everything i have already gone through to get this one egg, it's so cold here, THE EGG WAS FROZEN... [​IMG]

oh well, it was still the best tasting egg i've had in quite some time... [​IMG]

2. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG] Congrats!

3. dickkenschickens

dickkenschickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Portland
    Congatulations, so what do you do when an egg freezes? How did you know it was frozen? Did you try to break it open? Are these stupid questions?[​IMG]

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats!!!

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] Congrats to you!

6. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    CONGRATS!!

[​IMG]

7. isabrownmom

isabrownmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Indiana
    I worked a supper shift at the restaurant and came home, went outside to shut off the icicle Christmas lights on the coop and thought I'd just check to see if there were any eggs in the nest box - sure enough, there was one very frozen egg. It had expanded and had a small crack in it. Drats, a wasted egg! So I put it into a small bowl and left it on the kitchen counter and presided to get to bed. Next morning, I could barely make out the crack so I broke it open into the bowl and it looked perfectly fine so I ate it over easy for breakfast! Yummy!! Who knew?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  8. doubled

doubled Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Madrid, New Mexico
    i could tell mine was frozen because it was cracked and there was a frozen glob of egg white outside the shell...
    i just stuck it in a coffee cop, thawed it out and scambled it. tasted just fine.

i'm getting an egg at least every other day or so...probably 4 a week. now i just hope the other 5 follow suit soon.

9. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Mine started laying 3 days ago today and I am getting a very pretty brown egg a day. I am thinking it is my BA or GLW...[​IMG] Wish they would just lay the egg infront of me.
    [​IMG] Congrats on the eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by