It's about to happen!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wise Woman, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Hi everyone. I posted about converting a shed to a coop/goat house several months ago and now, it is all going to happen within the next two weeks. I am very nervous about this as we will be spending a good amount of money on this project and money is tight, but I want to do it once and do it right.

Some of the things I want will have to wait until we get moved in to our new home and settled, but the shed conversion and the fencing will be starting immediately. I am so worried I will make a mistake with the design and wish I had done it differently by next year. I thought this would be fun, but now that it is upon us, it is making me very nervous. It is a very nice shed and hubs is not too thrilled about hacking it up for animals. Doors, ventilation and so forth. But it must be done. I might hire a guy to do that stuff so hubs doesn't have to hack into the shed himself.

He is afraid the animals are going to ruin it, but I am going to do everything I can to keep it clean and in good repair. We will be putting stall mats down on the goat side with pine shavings and sweet PDZ. The chickens will have pine shavings and PDZ as well and some sand out where I hope to put their feeding station. Next spring I will plant lots of stuff for them to eat as well as a few more trees to provide more summer shade. The shed faces south, so they will be good for the winter, but come summer, I want it to be much shadier for them. I will put up a shade cloth until the trees fill in.

It also has electricity, which is a huge deal for me and I am hoping to run a water line to it as well. I still have to decide if food should be inside or out. I think I want it out, but it will have to be inside for a while.

Anyway, I will post pics when I get going on it and in the mean time, please send me some good shed converting vibes!

2. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    you need to post pics first

3. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    I will be taking some tonight. I just bought a 5 gallon bucket of blackjack sealer to coat the floor with, so off we go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by