It's ALIVE! (But air cells have me very nervous)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Clearly, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Clearly

Clearly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2015
    Seattle Suburb
    First time hatcher here.... Shipped eggs, so I know a hatch rate can be very low.

28 eggs, and on day 7:
    12 alive
    16 clear

Here's a video of an embryo moving very clearly!

But I'm now terrified for those alive, because I marked air cells today (since everything I've read says day seven) and every single one of the 12 has that deep U shape that shows damage.

So what does this mean? I have a litany of questions!

1. Are the doomed????? :(
    2. Is there anything I can do at this point to lessen any stress or possibly make the situation better?
    3. If all 12 remain alive at day 18, is there anything special to do at lockdown to aid them considering the air cells have that low U shaped damage?
    4. Any anecdotal experience you can share of hatch rate when this happens? (I'm a numbers person and operate in ratios and percentages to prepare my mind for the worst)
    5. Should I have more questions? More things to consider?

I already royally screwed up by not knowing I shouldn't turn in early incubation with shipped eggs, and the guilt of my ignorance is consuming me. I'd like to be prepared with anything else that may arise due to the air cell damage these eggs are exhibiting.

Thanks guys. You're always so helpful!!!

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I believe what you are referring to is saddle shaped air cells. I have no experience with shipped eggs, though I know that this is common with them. You may want to search the forum (at teh top of teh page) for saddle shaped air cells. You may find some helpful threads.

3. chickster5003

chickster5003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    Hello, I've hatched over 30 chicks shipped and most have a saddle. Some honestly want form where it will work out. But also a lot of the air cells will get to the size where it want make a difference because it becomes the same size.

4. Clearly

Feb 18, 2015
    Seattle Suburb
    Yeah, I searched a lot earlier. The threads I found were how to avoid it happening in the first place, like not turning your shipped eggs for the first three days. A few other threads documented having lost every egg, but one in particular had a much worse experience from day one (bad packing, cracks, etc) and really didn't feel as though it applied to me. (Me eggs seemed pristine upon arrival in phenomenal packaging)

This forum is so awesome, but with hundreds of thousands of posts, I had a hard time finding out information that may help me from day 7 on. Like if they're doomed, or if there is anything I can be doing over the next two weeks (or not doing) to increase their chances.

Thank you so much for the response. Yes, it's "saddle shaped" for sure. I'll keep searching more.

Edit: ipad auto correct issues, as usual.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  5. Clearly

Feb 18, 2015
    Seattle Suburb
    @chickster5003

Did you find that the thirty or so that worked had the saddle? Did you have to do anything special for them?

Also, you suggested they won't form where it will work out: do you mean the chicks are deformed? Or just turned the wrong way? And in regards to it not making a difference, I did feel that the air cells seemed large due to the U shape. As they get bigger, is that why it won't work outin the end anyways because the cell gets too large?

Thank you.

6. chickster5003

Sep 1, 2013
    I've done the don't turn for 3 days things before, but here's some very important advice. If you decide to go that route than candle everyday for those 3 days in the morning and night. If you begin seeing development and veins than begin turning immediately once you see it. The first few days are crucial, and you do not want the embryo to stick to the shell. I've had situations where the embryo got stuck a few died and twice where I got deformed chicks, and both had to be put down. I'm not trying to scare you, just stressing to you to candle and once development begins, immediately begin turning.

7. Clearly

Feb 18, 2015
    Seattle Suburb
    Thank you. You're not scaring me. Quite the opposite, I prefer to be very realistic and well informed of every element.

Which is why I'm so surprised and ashamed over my mistake. I read EVERYTHING. Obsessively. Like a crazy person. I knew all about the saddle shape and what it would look like, and that it's common in shipped eggs. What I didn't read was that it was possibly more preventable, because I just thought it was either an inevitable or not, due to stress in shipping.

Good to know for the future though to candle them while they're still.

I'm super frustrated, because I've been following guides that tell me not to touch them much, the highest hatch rates are the ones rarely candled, etc, so I have followed this to a "T" by waiting patiently and not marking air cells on the egg until day seven.

I feel really freaking dumb now. I had felt very prepared. /sigh

8. chickster5003

Sep 1, 2013
    Really you just need to everything the same, you just need to keep a close eye during hatching, chance are it'll take them longer to hatch do to limited space. When it first happend to me in also freaked I didn't know what to do, I just take it as a learning experience. And I hate to tell you but this is just the beginning of the stress. LOL youll question everything you are doing. I ordered 6 eggs and they are coming in Wednesday, and I'm researching like a crazy person even thought I've hatched 2 dozen chickens eggs 1 dozen Guinea and 1 dozen ducks. Its a long stressful wait! We can go crazy together [​IMG][​IMG]

9. chickster5003

Sep 1, 2013
    Oh and If it's possible can you post some picture of the deepest part of the dip. And I can tell you if it's a big problem or nothing to worry about!

10. Clearly

Feb 18, 2015
    Seattle Suburb
    I should have taken more pics, but I was so obsessed with being speedy to get them back in their incubator. Would you be able to see from my pencil lines so I don't have to candle them? If not, I'll just candle a few of the worst real quick since it's only been a few hours, then I'll leave them be until day 12 (my next scheduled air cell measuring).

And thanks so much for the support. Yes, let's stress out together! It's good to have a stress buddy! Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by