Its all ALONE!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GBov, Apr 4, 2012.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Set the first batch of eggs from our quail and only got two hatchlings. One has now died so we now have a loner.

It peeps all the time and seems frantic.

Is there anything I can do for it (other than drive long distances on the hope of buying a few friends for it) to make it more comfortable? Have even thought of just putting it down but hubby thought that was a bit drastic lol.

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    put a stuffed animal in there with it. Or go to the dollar store and get a cheap feather duster, he will like to cuddle under it

gives him the sensation of having a friend w/o actually having one.

3. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind of quail is it? if it's a coturnix or button you might be okay if you give him stuffied to cuddle with and hide under, but I once had this same scenario happen to me with a bobwhite - he imprinted on me and thought he was a human being. Even at a day old he would follow me evrywhere, and he had to be right beside me all the time. And I mean ALL the time! When he grew up he got really mad when I had to leave him to go to work and that he had to be in a cage and he got so frustrated that he started to get agressive and was clearly in a lot of emotional torment, so i put him down. His social needs were like that of a parrot. I tried to introduce him to the other birds and he was terrified of them, and they were terrified of him because he had no social skills.

4. TheWeeBee

TheWeeBee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I've raised two solo button chicks (separately--they hatched a month apart) with success. I would give them a stuffed animal to cuddle with, and would hold them at every opportunity so they could snuggle in my robe sleeve and feel safe. They are both very tame and even though they are housed separately, I will let them out after I get home from work so they can peck around the floor and interact with each other, and make sure I spend cuddle/interaction time with each. They are all housed in the same room so they will call out and answer the other buttons. As chicks, they peeped virtually non-stop and were bouncing around the brooder whenever they aren't sleeping.

5. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Coturnix indeed is it. LOL My kids have gotten me into Yoda speak a bit too much!

Have given it a cuddly toy.

It was VERY upset when I took the waterer out to clean and refill it. Seems its gotten rather attached to it.

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    Hope it doesn't imprint on the waterer. Nothing good can come from that! [​IMG]

7. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    What state do you live in? A BYCer might live in your area to be able to help you out.

8. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    How odd! I am SURE it use to say what state I am in! Never mind, I am way down here in the land of sunshine called Central Florida.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by