It's all My Fault. :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MysticalMom, May 18, 2010.

1. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    A dog got 2 of my ducks today. I don't know whos dog. Our farm is 260 acres, bordered on 3 sides by other big farms and this dog came out of nowhere. I had been sitting outside with them (some of you know the story of my menace drake and how I've had to sit outside when he's out to make sure he doesn't terrorize the others) and when he went around back away from the others ducks, I just went inside to freshen my tea and get my zip drive and I got side tracked by a phone call. When I came back outside this strange shaggy dog was in the woods to the right of my screened porch, I ran down the stairs to chase him off and thats when I noticed the body of my young Black Swedish female at the edge of the woods. Further in was Annie, one of my sweet sweet muscovy girls. The dog killed them both in less than 15 minutes.

If I had just stayed outside, or not taken that phone call, or if I just had my dogs outside while I was inside I feel like it wouldn't have happened. I always have the dogs out!!!! Grrrrrr!! Thats why i taught the dogs to protect the other animals. And I don't know why they weren't out. DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!!! I am so devastated. I apologized to the rest of the flock over and over and gave them extra treats.

I'm just so sad. [​IMG]:

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I am sooooo sorry. [​IMG]

But now is the time to think about proper fencing, etc of the duck area., to prevent the dang dog from coming back. I would hate to think it might kill more birds or injure your dogs! I never allow my dogs to fight off other dogs or anything, for that matter, because of the risk of illness or wounds.

Much as I hate the thought? Keep a loaded gun handy.

4. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    [​IMG] Don't blame yourself! Please. This was not your fault.

5. chasing ducks

chasing ducks Songster

Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG] It's not your fault! It's the fault of irresponsible pet owners! I get allowing your dogs to roam on your property but they need to be taught boundries! [​IMG] I lost my lone guinea hen earlier this year to a stray dog. [​IMG] I also ran my car with both my children in it into a ditch because of a stray dog earlier this spring [​IMG] I live in the country too and unfortunately too many dogs just roam around. [​IMG] Big [​IMG] don't blame yourself!

6. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    Quote:Believe me, I'd love to be able to fence off all of the acreage the ducks use and the whole creek, but that really isn't feasible. While in all these years they they've never they had to fight off anything, but usually just chase it off, that's what these big dogs are on this farm for. The dog that killed my ducks would be a snack to them anyway. ( A snack I wish they'd had!) And they ran off all the other wildlife ( including the deer [​IMG] ) years ago. No a fence around all this is out of the question, but the dogs protect this farm. it was my dumb fault for being lazy and letting them on the screened porch with me, and not sending them out when I went inside. If only I hadn't taken that darned phone call!!!!

As for a loaded gun... I hate guns, that's my husbands department. But suddenly I think that's a very good idea![​IMG]

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Amazingly the other ducks are just all going about their usual business today. I guess it's only me who thinks we should ALL be in mourning. [​IMG]

7. fisharescary

fisharescary Songster

Feb 23, 2010
    Quote:Believe me, I'd love to be able to fence off all of the acreage the ducks use and the whole creek, but that really isn't feasible. While in all these years they they've never they had to fight off anything, but usually just chase it off, that's what these big dogs are on this farm for. The dog that killed my ducks would be a snack to them anyway. ( A snack I wish they'd had!) And they ran off all the other wildlife ( including the deer [​IMG] ) years ago. No a fence around all this is out of the question, but the dogs protect this farm. it was my dumb fault for being lazy and letting them on the screened porch with me, and not sending them out when I went inside. If only I hadn't taken that darned phone call!!!!

As for a loaded gun... I hate guns, that's my husbands department. But suddenly I think that's a very good idea![​IMG]

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Amazingly the other ducks are just all going about their usual business today. I guess it's only me who thinks we should ALL be in mourning. [​IMG]

Well, you could always just shoot over the dog's head to scare it off. Or get a BB gun and just sting it a little? (I think. I'm not a gun fan either but I'm starting to consider what I might want for duck-protection)

8. AmyinNC

AmyinNC In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Oh, I am so sorry [​IMG] .

We have a problem with cats in the neighborhood, and I've watched one be a bit too inquisitive of the ducks. Although the ducks are protected from fencing and such, I still want them to understand to not even think about trying to go near them. My dh has a pellet gun and just firing it..the noise works to scare them off. Don't know if that would work for dogs too? So far, we haven't had to be concerned with stray dogs, but we have seen them in the past...before the ducks were here. I'm sorry you're having such a rough day.

9. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Songster

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    [​IMG] So sorry, you can't beat yourself up over it. Things happen.

As for a gun, I think the BBgun idea would be great for you. If you don't like guns and they are not your thing then just to have something to scare animals off with then a BB gun or even an airsoft gun would work great.

10. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    If the dog has a home, and you really can't bring yourself to shoot it, I have heard on the Predator threads that a paint gun can be pretty effective. 1. They hurt like [email protected]#!. 2. Sends a nice message to the owner. Your dogs sound like they pretty much have it covered.

I still think you are being too hard on yourself. Seriously. [​IMG] I don't know anyone who can sustain a state of constant alert 24/7 unless you have some kind of millitary training or something. So you have free ranging ducks, that have done extreemly well, and you relaxed. I wouldn't have thought twice about answering the phone either. It was a fluke that that dog was there at that exact time that you let your gaurd down a little. That's all. And who knows what the back ground on that dog is either. Many people choose to free range, it was my first choice, even with the risks involved, until I realized my own dogs would take out my flocks in about an hour. That left the loss/quality of life ration rather askew on my end. If it wasn't for the certianty that my own dogs would cause major losses, I would be taking my chances as well. I'm still taking some chances. No reason a bear or a pain tollerant racoon couldn't decide to break through the electric netting and get into the duck houses. Their yards aren't covered, a hawk, or evening owl could get them. Sorry, I'll end it now, I just hate to think that you are beating yourself up about this....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by