It's all new to me

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cntry2CityChick, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Cntry2CityChick

Cntry2CityChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2014
    Hi! I'm a new chicken mom... my son and I got our first 2 chicks (Delawares... although 1 was supposed to be a Buff Orpington) on the 1st of October, Dilly McDuck and Ms. Beasly. We went back 2 wks later (when a new shipment came in) and got a Rhode Island Red (Lily), a Buff Orpington (still deciding on a name), an Amaraucana (Penny) (although looking at pics, it may be a Welsummer) and a Lt Brahma (which so sadly didn't make it through the week... I think it was narcoleptic). The latter (and the smallest) was my hubbies fav, so I may be going to get a replacement today.

Since bringing home Dilly and Beasly, our 10 yr old Aussie has taken it upon himself to transition from the family dog to mother hen. Whenever we hold/pet the chicks, he's right there ready to count and make sure they're all put away safely. During the night, he runs downstairs frequently to check up on them.

As an almost former PTA mom (after 6th grade, duties are minimal), I'm looking forward to raising and learning all I can about my new venture... as I post pics, if anyone can clarify if Beasly is actually a rooster (I hope not... we can't have roosters in Glendale, CA) or if Penny is an Amauracana or a Welsummer, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thank you [​IMG]

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Welcome to BYC! Please post pics! I must inform you that it will most likely be a few weeks before sex can be determined. Most (not all) become apparent around 8 weeks or so, some can be sooner some later! From experience I would say that your Penny is an Easter Egger (they are mix breeds usually with Ameraucana genes, typicly lay green eggs), but a pic would show for certain.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. You can trot out the photos so we can have a look - see , and/or you can post them on "What breed or gender is this." Please do list age at time of photos for best assessments.

4. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a very useful learning center [​IMG]

You will be needing to check out some of the other Trends here about raising chicks and caring for them also the feed and water so go to the store if you already do not have some ACV in the kitchen as this needs to go in the the water just a tea spoon to a quirt of water enjoy your new flock ....

Oh if you boil up an egg remove the shell and mash the egg then serve the first time they might be set back but once one eats the egg it will be gone [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

1 person likes this.
  7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

If you post photos, we'll be happy to help you determine your birds' breeds!

8. Cntry2CityChick

Oct 29, 2014
    Thank you all!
    Here are pics of our chicks... These pics were taken about 4 days ago.. there are a few more on my page and will be adding to that this weekend.
    [​IMG] Penny (Ameraucana?) home 2 days

[​IMG]Lily (Rhode Island Red) home 2 days

[​IMG]Buffy (Orpington) home 2 days

[​IMG]Dilly McDuck (Delaware) home 2 wks 2 days... probably 2 wks before I adopted her

[​IMG] Ms. Beasly (Delaware?) home 2 wks 2 days.. probably 2 wks before I adopted "her"(?.. I hope)

1 person likes this.
  9. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    There are lots of breeds of chicks that have the 'chipmunk' striping, like your Penny. I can't see if she has muffs (puffy cheeks) or green legs, but those are usually dead giveaways for an EE!

10. Cntry2CityChick

Oct 29, 2014
    Thank you for the info! Looking at Penny... her legs aren't green and she doesn't have puffy cheeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by