It's almost done!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JesseK, Apr 19, 2012.

1. JesseK

JesseK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    IA
    I was going to wait to put a thread up until the coop was finished and my chickies were inside - but I'm at work and just so excited that I can't wait!

We will be finishing it up tonight - it just needs one more latch and the back door insulation installed for the chickies to move in. Then we'll be finishing up some trim pieces and the shingles at a later date...we need a break!

I didn't take many pics as we went, but here when the frame was together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And here is my 6'5" man inside the coop stapling the hardware cloth [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is the front view - nesting box on the left and front door in the middle. Big vent along the top and a window on the side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The coop is fully insulated with an interior and exterior wall. It is a wheelbarrel design and we will move it around the yard. I have a 4' high portable dog fence to keep the chickies contained around their house.

I'll put up a pic of the back of the coop and some interior pics after we get it finished tonight. Woohoooo I'm so excited! The babies are getting way too big to be in my basement - about 7 weeks old.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

We put them in this morning - it is all finished except for the trim and shingles. Happy chickens :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    looks great [​IMG]have fun

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    [​IMG] Nice little coop! Well Done!

4. JesseK

Apr 5, 2012
    IA
    Well, it's all finished now. Since I took these pictures, I've added one more 8 foot length of fence. So they have a lot of room to run around. We move the coop once a week to a new spot in the yard, and so far it is going great. The chicks eat up my weeds and help fertilize and airate my lawn, yay!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. drpurl

drpurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Nice coop!

6. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Fantastic!!! I think your dog is VERY jealous too!!! Good Job![​IMG]

7. JesseK

Apr 5, 2012
    IA
    Thank you!

Beyla the dog LOVES to play with the chickens. And Mable (buff orp) loves to peck her furr when she's not paying attention :)

8. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Love it, what a nice job you guys did!

9. wvchix

wvchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    WV
    It looks great! What materials did you use to build the window?

10. JesseK

Apr 5, 2012
    IA

Thank you! The window is made of a wood molding. It's about 1"x1/2" treated lumber and comes with two rounded edges. My boyfriend notched out the end of each piece so that they overlapped and then we screwed them together. I have been redoing the three seasons porch of my very old house and have learned how to install glass into a wood window. So I used an extra piece of glass I had. There is weatherproofing between the window and the coop to make it airtight. We just used eyehooks to fasten it. He also built a frame for the window into the coop frame to strengthen the area. There is hardware cloth on the inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by