1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's amazing what a little groceries can do

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gritsar, Jan 29, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Some of you have followed the saga of my two stepdaughters and my struggle to build a relationship with them. The latest issue had been them being up here all the time; not really visiting, not helping, just hanging out until I cooked and then leaving.

Then last week DH mentioned that his eldest daughter had told him that her mom, that she and her sister are living with, didn't really buy any groceries. Her mom is able to eat three meals at work, free, so I guess she figured groceries in the house weren't a necessity.

So, when we went grocery shopping I took $100 out of our grocery budget and bought groceries for the girls and the GS. DH and I had discussed it and ageed that had we just given them the money it would have been spent on cell phone minutes, cigarettes, gas money to run around, and McDonalds, not groceries.

I bought nutritious foods, keeping the GS in mind. So sorry but I don't buy junk food. If the child asks for candy, hand him a piece of fruit instead.

We gave SD #1 the groceries, plus two dozen fresh eggs.

Do you know we haven't heard a word from either of the girls since? Surprise, surprise. [​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] You did the right thing!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Did SD #1 say thank you at the time? I've found the younger set consider that sufficient these days. [​IMG]

BTW, do either of them know how to cook? That might be a problem with REAL food for a change....

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Guess that answers that question, doesn't it?

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If they don't know how to cook, well, they can make sandwiches and microwave soups and leftovers! They will figure it out if they don't want to learn from their elders or friends how to cook.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:#1 can cook. I think #2 could burn water. Cleaning up the mess they make after cooking is a whole 'nother issue. She did say thanks as she was leaving, which is more than her sister would do. We have bought #2 large bags of dog food, for the dogs she won't give up but can't afford to feed, on several occasions. She takes the bags of food and puts them in her car, without so much as a nod. Guess she figures we owe her that.
    #1 can learn how to cook the way I did, the hard way. My ex was a drunk and put most of his paychecks up his nose. I learned how to feed two kids on $25 a week.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Exactly and as much as it hurts Keith to see it, he has his eyes wide open now.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Its about time he did!

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:#1 can cook. I think #2 could burn water. Cleaning up the mess they make after cooking is a whole 'nother issue. She did say thanks as she was leaving, which is more than her sister would do. We have bought #2 large bags of dog food, for the dogs she won't give up but can't afford to feed, on several occasions. She takes the bags of food and puts them in her car, without so much as a nod. Guess she figures we owe her that.
    #1 can learn how to cook the way I did, the hard way. My ex was a drunk and put most of his paychecks up his nose. I learned how to feed two kids on $25 a week.

I sure wish those 2 could spend a week with my grandmother and mother. Both would have said as imperiously, as regally as possible, "Excuse me, but don't you think you should say thank you?" And you would have gotten the hint loud and clear! Very nicely, but loaded with sting. And if you didn't get it, they would have explained it to you again, in great detail. Making you wish you'd never been born, but in that southern lady icy tone that brooked no protest.

Perhaps you can drag them into the kitchen more often- I know your DH is always cutting them slack, but you can always use the "Would you like to eat dinner with us? Oh good, now help me with the cooking and we will clean up as we go." If you didn't, there wasn't a place for you at the table. And if you whined or complained, well, heaven helpya. You were in a blender then. They might let you eat later if you were contrite enough.

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

I sure wish those 2 could spend a week with my grandmother and mother. Both would have said as imperiously, as regally as possible, "Excuse me, but don't you think you should say thank you?" And you would have gotten the hint loud and clear! Very nicely, but loaded with sting. And if you didn't get it, they would have explained it to you again, in great detail. Making you wish you'd never been born, but in that southern lady icy tone that brooked no protest.

Perhaps you can drag them into the kitchen more often- I know your DH is always cutting them slack, but you can always use the "Would you like to eat dinner with us? Oh good, now help me with the cooking and we will clean up as we go." If you didn't, there wasn't a place for you at the table. And if you whined or complained, well, heaven helpya. You were in a blender then. They might let you eat later if you were contrite enough.

They wouldn't have lasted a week with my mom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by