Its amazing what people throw away.

Pokes79

Songster
10 Years
Sep 4, 2009
I have a couple projects I need to complete including quail pens and a larger chicken coop, but wood can get expensive.
I was in my girlfriends neighborhood the two days ago and a house is being built a couple houses down the road, so I stopped by to ask if there was any wood they didn't plan on using.
After building quail pens this is what I have left:
dscn1587i.jpg

Here are the quail pens I built and all I had to buy was the wire and hinges:
dscn1586.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Pokes - Great job on the quail pens - they look fantastic. Looks like you got a good deal on the materials, too!

Construction site are the best place to get free lumber. Most ppl do not realize that the contractors have to pay to dispose of scrap lumber. I got all of the lumber for my coop and run from construction sites.

Great job on the quail pens.

TC

I could never make something that nice looking! Those are amazing, especially considering the materials used!

In our city, we could not access to any dumpster because if you get caught, you would be arrested and fined by the city. Liabilities too.

Great looking pens, I got 8 free sheets of plywood by checking out all the college housing sites, students leave their "beer game tables" and bed supports right outside the door. In 20 minutes at one apartment unit I had 6 sheets of plywood and 4 2x4s and 10 cement blocks...remember this next May!

LOL Thats true but not worth getting trouble with the law anyway!

I am guessing it would be different if the contractor was at the premises and you do have permission to take it out but some garbage pick ups forbid anyone to take anything out due to liabilities which some folks do get hurt into the dumpster.

Back
Top Bottom