It's an Alien Egg! Pics

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mama Hen Chris, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    This evening, like every evening at 5 p.m. I let the girls out of their pen and they get to roam the yard. Sometimes if the screen door is open they walk in and head straight for the dog food. ALL 8 of them were in the house when Millie started to squat?? Look like she was going to "dirty" the floor. Didn't happen. Hmm? She squatted and held that position and I told my hubby that something seemed wrong cause she wasn't able to poop. When all of a sudden hubby said uh oh, what is coming out of her? Looked very "alien" to us. She laid an egg right on the kitchen floor. I have never seen anything like this. It was leathery to the touch and had an open end with another small leathery shell attached. Millie already laid her egg early this morning about 7 a.m. (her eggs are weighing in at
    1 1/2 oz to 1 5/8 oz) We were all shocked and in awe of this sight. [​IMG]

Millie is a Black Sex Link who is 24.5 weeks old. She just started laying on the 9th. Is this normal? Anyone have any thoughts on why this happened? Why was it leathery as her normal eggs have a very hard shell? My daughter wanted it opened and it was a double yolk. I am thinking that the other yolk was meant for the egg that was attached. Always some kind of egg-citement going on here.

Showing Millie what she did
    [​IMG]

Comparing her egg she laid this morning to the "alien"
    [​IMG]

In the bowl next to her egg
    [​IMG]

Double yolk (after opening the egg I forgot I should have weighed it) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    She looks quite concerned that you are handling her egg.

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Sometimes when they've first started laying there are some misfires as their system matures and gets into a rhythm. It's probably nothing, but if she continues this way there may be some problem with her equipment. Most likely this is a one-time thing - hope so!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I always hate finding those things... I used to put them in the fridge with the other eggs... I was duly warned by DW never to do that again.

5. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:She does look concerned. The other girls came over after the photo for a peek.

6. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:She just surprised us all with this...especially in the kitchen and with an audience. Thanks for the advice. Being new to this has it's moments. Mostly funny ones. Chickens do the funniest things.

7. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:I guess it is not unusual for this to happen at times. I just think it was unlike Millie to just squat in the kitchen and pop that out and then go on with her business. Not even an egg song!

Too funny Mahonri!! Does DW get upset over things like that? [​IMG]

8. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Oh, now that is something. I'd rather not find that in my coop, thank you very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by