It's baaaccckkk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ga_goat, Aug 5, 2010.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    had a very bad problem in the spring , caught 7 possoms in the walkin trap and got 2 of those 3 s's , problem went away .
    problem came back Tue nite amd Last nite , I have 2x4 welded wire under the roosts in 2 pens and somthing pulled a
    young rooster through the wire and ate him right there . I have been making the pens better and even stackes 2 added pens behind the ones I had already , and it made it through a 6 ft 1x2 welded wire fence to get to the roost . , I have added 1 more layer
    with 6 ft spacing of fence , put 2 walk in traps and 5 snares in this space , hope to find out what it is tonight .
    Our local fish and game idiots reachered and found that around here was at one time a range of panthers ,
    so they went to Wyoming caught 3 pair of them and turned 1 pair of them loose within 10 miles of my house , A definate 3 S problem .

2. The Tinman

The Tinman Songster

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    What problem? You don`t like the taste of puma? It taste like chicken! Just kidding. You be careful, Puma have been know to attact people.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

My Nite Guard failed to protect my flock. That's the first time in 2 years I lost something...since I bought the Nite Guard. Something slipped in & took one of my Royal Palm hens off of her nest. Luckily 2 hens were sharing it, because the babies are hatching today.
    Tonight the electric fence comes back on, the birds get locked in, & I'm on guard duty with the heavy artillery. The War is ON!!!

4. ga_goat

ga_goat Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    is Puma the same as Cougar that is what they said they brought , 1 pair got a quater horse Monday about 22 miles up the road ,, the owner has pics of them doing the deed , he has video in the barn and they came and got her in the stable .

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Puma, Cougar, Mt. Lion, all the same thing. Here in Arkansas there's sightings of Black Panthers,( or as the locals say, black painters) & have been for years. I personally think they are Jaguarundi's ( Mexican wildcat), though I've never seen one.

6. canyoncritters

canyoncritters In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Silverado
    Puma and cougar are the same. usually if they are able to get the prey out of the enclosure they will take it back to more familiar territory where they will eat it, or bury the leftovers for later (with larger kills). they are very elusive and don't like to eat where they are in the open/unfamiliar territory. Raccoons are messy predators and will literally shred the animal through wire and leave the carcass there. Coyotes and foxes will eat organs and you will find the carcass' gaped open with all the insides gone, except the intestines, and sometimes the head is missing, and it will be in the area within a 100 yards, or completely gone if there was more than one hunting. I'm an opossum advocate [​IMG] and tend to not believe that they could do it, since they are almost completely blind and can only grasp at something right in front of them, and so will usually have to gain access inside the coop to do any damage. Sorry for the graphic descriptions guys, this is what I deal with daily @ work, and it's hard to hold back [​IMG]

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Songster

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I noticed that you are from Lowndes county so it wouldnt have mattered if they had relocated to Mountain Lions to your area or not. They are migrating up from Florida. One was shot and killed just south of Atlanta by a deer hunter last season. They thought it was a pet that someone had released but DNA proved that it was a Florida Panther, whose mom they had records of. A mother and two cubs was just photographed in Chattanooga, TN a few weeks ago, so they are moving north for sure. The Florida panther is just a little smaller than his western cousin but not enough difference that you would notice if you ran into one in your drive way. [​IMG]

If you have a Mtn Lion raiding your coop you had best run some strong welded wire and a few times around the coop with a hot wire. Not to mention you had better be careful taking out the trash!

If you catch it in one of those traps, please let us know and report it to the Cougar Network. Its a group that is tracking the migration of lions accross the U.S. They have been looking for proof that they are moving up the east coast again and a live cat or dead cat report is always appreciated. Take pics and let the authorities have the live animal or the body if you decide to kill it. (I hope that you will keep it alive if you catch it)

8. ga_goat

ga_goat Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I caught my problem last nite , or at least one of them ,, it was a very large wild yellow tabby house cat , weighed in at 19 lbs . still going to keep the walk in traps set but took the snares down .

9. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:We had someone take a picture with a game cam about 6 months to a year ago that was a lot larger then our usual 40-50 pound Bobcats it had a long tail and everything it was over in Smithfield Va the game department here had been denying their existence until then. It kina looks like they have made it up the coast I am in coastal Va.

10. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Songster

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Hey, ga-goat. I used to live in Lowndes County. Office manager at the Levi's Plant from 1981 - 1993. Sure were some nice folks down there. I'll bet it's really changed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by