~It's become oh so evident . . .~

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1mommahen, Jan 26, 2009.

1. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    that we need to add more nesting boxes to the Cochin Coop![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    [​IMG] Sure looks that way! [​IMG] At least they know where to lay them!

3. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Mine do that to! I have a broody who sits in the box all day. There are 2 other nest boxes right next to that one. But I'll find 2 other girls in the same box with the broody and the others empty. [​IMG]

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I know! I have 6 empty nest boxes and 5 chickens piled into 2 nest boxes together! No matter how many times I try to rearrange them they all pile back up again to lay.
    I give up![​IMG]

5. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    Mine do that too! I've got 7 hens and 4 boxes and they all want to be in the same one. I witnessed 1 hen jump onto the back of 1 that was already in the box and lay an egg on her! It was very interesting & wierd! All of the other boxes were empty. Who can figure out the chicken brain?

6. This is how I got into SOOOO much trouble this last fall. I had a broody hen in the box and the other girls would lay and when I went to lift the broodies butt she had 14 eggs under her and she started with 4 !!

I had to take them all out and put them into the incubator and close the nest boxes for a few days.

They started laying other places, but the brood hen was broke of it by then.

I only hatched out 2 chicks from that, the rest were taken by my DW and that was that. We candled them an there was no movement or they eggs were cleared.

7. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Quote:Someone said to make sure you mark the eggs that you WANT under her- then if you see more eggs you can figure out which ones don't belong.

OOPS! Sorry for the hijack. Back to our regularly schedule thread.

8. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    OK so maybe I won't add more!! There are four birds in this coop and only one box. So what do ya think, add one more or not?[​IMG]

9. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Adding another doesn't mean they'll use it. I had 4 nest boxes in my small coop for the Delaware flock and 4 in the big coop for the RSLs... out 12 hens only 1 lays her egg in the Delaware coop. Lately I've been finding 4+ eggs in one box, a few in another and 1 or 2 with none.

10. christmaschicken

christmaschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Christmas, Florida
    We used old Kitchen Cabinets in our Coop...[​IMG]

That makes 8 Boxes and all of them go in 1 to lay there eggs?[​IMG][​IMG]

I gave up...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by