1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's been 15 long years!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debs_flock, Oct 9, 2011.

1. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Okay, I'll admit that for most of those I had no chickens. [​IMG]

Twenty weeks ago (tomorrow) we got day old chicks, today Priscilla (my lt. brown leghorn) presented me with her first egg! I know it was her, as she is the only white egg breed we have. Also her comb has been steadily growing and reddening for weeks.

I went to the pet store today to buy enough mealworms to start a culture, with a few extra for the girls to eat. When I got home I checked the nest box like I've done a million times in the last couple of weeks. I had to look twice when I saw the white egg nestled up to the white golf balls. It was nearly identical in size. I thought about leaving it for my hubby to find when he got home (these are his VERY first chickens ever), but I was afraid it would get broken or dirty before he arrived and it was so perfect. When I picked it up, it was still warm.

So presenting Priscilla's very first egg. [​IMG] [​IMG]

With an extra large store bought egg for comparison.
    [​IMG]
    Nestled into a Costco two dozen carton!
    [​IMG]

Now, to fill in the rest of that carton and looking forward to that first brown egg. It looks like Molly (BR) or Scarlett (RIR) will be the next up to bat!

Deb

2. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Congrats!! [​IMG]

3. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Oh, man - what a great day for you! Congratulations! And they'll only get bigger and better - the chickens AND the eggs [​IMG]

4. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

No one would eat our first egg because it was too "precious"

Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by