It's been 1day past hatching day

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickie J, Apr 18, 2017.

1. chickie J

chickie J Just Hatched

Mar 28, 2017
    Edmonton Alberta Canada
    And my chick didn't hatch yet no pip nor cheeping. What should I do next?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    What date did you set the eggs? What are your temperatures like? Are you using a still air or a forced air incubator?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Your next step is to get whatever fruit you really like and have it on top of some good vanilla ice cream and just chill. At this stage that’s about all you can do. You can’t do anything to help but you can do some things that can hurt.

Don’t think that the 21 day thing is a law of nature. It’s not unusual for eggs to be a couple of days early or late. There are several different possible reasons for that. Heredity, humidity, how and how long they are stored, and just differences in eggs. A big possibility is average incubating temperature. If the incubator is running a bit warm the eggs can be early. If it is running a bit cool, they can be late. Yes, days early or late. Also, are you counting the days correctly. That’s a real common mistake on here. An egg doesn’t have a full day’s worth of development when you put it in the incubator. It takes 24 hours for it to have a day’s development and you can say “1” when you count. An easy way to check your counting is that the day of the week you set them is the day of the week the 21 days is up. If you set them on a Monday, the 21 days is up on a Monday. But they can still be early or late.

I know it is difficult and frustrating, but don’t do anything until after 23 full days. Then you can start getting concerned. I know, easy for me to say. Good luck!

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

I just remembered I was helping you in another thread. Your set date was the 28th, you said, so today is your hatch date. You are not yet past it. However I didn't get your temps or incubator type in the last thread so I do need those to determine if it could be lateness due to your temp being off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by