It's been 26 years since I've had a bear in my house

Well done you! :wee:clap
Let's hope it's learned its lesson and never returns :fl

Did your chickens sense the danger, or would they have been taken unawares without your protection?
The chickens normally utter a subtle five note phrase and then go very quiet when a bear is withing sight but not assaulting the run. So I didn't hear them making any ruckus. You can bet they saw him, though.

And yes, the bear would dismantle the run if it weren't for the hot wire. I know this to be true because bears have done considerable damage in the past.

Electric wire without bait would be completely ineffective against bears. Also bobcats. Also foxes. Also dogs.

About the only critters stupid enough to engage a hot wire without any bait that I can think of are humans and cows.
Not necessarily true. I have hot wires around my coops and pens 10,000+ volts and I have heard critters test the wires. It's rare and mostly in the spring when predators are moving around looking for mates and having their young. I have never baited my wires. I think that the adult predators actually teach their young that a bird isn't worth getting zapped for. I want anything that touches my wires to know it and hurt. They don't test them again. I have several game cameras up mostly pointed towards the coops and pens at different angles. This dig may have been from a coyote or fox or bobcat. Whatever it was it aborted the attempt and could have been one that I have heard when it connected with the hot wire. Those predators are the ones I have the most pictures of around the coops and pens.
IMG_20190101_101718.jpg

Electric wire without bait would be completely ineffective against bears. Also bobcats. Also foxes. Also dogs.

About the only critters stupid enough to engage a hot wire without any bait that I can think of are humans and cows.
Pretty sure my chickens on the other side are the bait, but I have the poultry netting, so with 13 strands of ouch, its pretty hard for them to not touch it if they want what's on the other side. Anything sniffing around the fence is gonna get a jolt. My dogs won't go within 20 feet of it.

Back
Top Bottom