It's been a good day...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cracked, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Cracked

Cracked New Egg

Jan 28, 2009
    North Texas
    Hello BYC'ers. I've been lurking this forum for several months and finally decided to post.

First I'd like to thank you all for the great info I've read on this site.
    Secondly I tend to be long winded, so I'll apologize in advance!

Since lurking I've: Learned how to care for chickens, learned *some* of the different breeds, learned how to build an effective coop with roost's, & nest boxes, and about feeders & waterers.

So THANK YOU ALL!

For a coop I used an old wood 6'x6' shed that was on the property when we bought it. I put up plywood on the inside to insulate it, then built in a roost, and a shelf to hold 5 gal. nest buckets. I built a run onto the outside that's 5'x6' (but I'm thinkin it needs to be bigger)

I know how everybody here asks/want's to see pictures so I came prepared.

The coop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"C. Higgins" = chiggin's if you didn't get it. he he

We have a few feral cat's that wander through our property so the wire mesh extends down below ground level and out a foot from the coop. I then covered it in several inches of gravel. I also put two foot tall plywood around the bottom so a cat couldn't reach through and try and grab a chicken.

With the coop built it was time to buy some chickens. Since the coop is somewhat small and we didn't want *too* many we decided on a couple good layers and a couple fancy birds.

So we bought a Rhode Island Red, an Australorp, A Cornish, and a (young) Silver Seabrite.

[​IMG]

We've had them now 2 weeks and we figured it was still a bit too cold for them to start laying. (60-70's day, 20-30's night)

Well today I went out to find two egg's in seperate buckets (both from the RIR) Unfortunately the second egg was broken.

But she made it up to me by laying a third egg while I was standing there taking pictures!

<CLUNK!>
    [​IMG]

I was leaning against the roost and she hopped up next to me.

"You're not thinkin of stealin those egg's are ya?!?"

[​IMG]

At least that's what I think she said... My *chicken* is a little rusty.

I do have a question (which may need to be in a different thread) I've noticed the RIR scratched/kicked most of the shavings out of the bucket prior to laying. I'm wondering if the fall (or her scratching) was what broke the first egg. Should I line the bucket with some other sort of padding to keep the egg's from breaking?

So again, thank you all for the great source of knowledge that makes this site great!

~C!~ (first time egg father)

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    [​IMG]
    eta: lovely coop and birds.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Thank you for coming out of "lurkdom" to join the rest of us. Now that you've posted and introduced yourself, please don't go back into hiding! [​IMG]

Your pics are really nice! I love how your coop has a "Wild West" theme. How do you like the nestboxes you made?

4. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    Nice chicken pic's [​IMG]

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN. Good looking coop and birds you have. [​IMG]

6. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    [​IMG] You have a fabulous coop! Well done!

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] I just have to say...what a nice little coop you have there. I agree tho....might want to make the run a little bit bigger....we always get " just a few more" in due time. GREAT pics...and a really cute post. I think your chicken translation might be perfect. She seems to be keeping an eye on you...keeping an eye on her eggs! As for the nest bedding....I would try straw...and putting another board across the front. Just about an inch higher maybe.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  8. Rogue Rooster

Rogue Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    Rogue River Oregon
    Hello Cracked; Welcome:) I see you are from the Cal high desert, is that over around Alturas, canby , Newell area?

9. Cracked

Cracked New Egg

Jan 28, 2009
    North Texas
    Thank you all for the welcomes!

I can't really take credit for the shed as it was sitting here on our property. But I really like it's old patina as well. When I added the run onto the front with new 2x4's, they looked too shiney & new. So I used brown & black paint to help it blend into the shed better.

I had previously built several (horse) tack shed's and they also look like old Western buildings.

[​IMG]

I guess I like the 5 gallon nesting boxes just fine but since it's all I've ever used I have limited source of reference.

As for the "Just a few more"... Funny you should mention that. On our way home from buying these we stopped by a friends house (They also have chickens) "Why didn't you tell me?!? A friend of mine has 30 RIR's and Austra's and they're giving them to me for free"

<DOH!>

So we're taking *just a few more* from her when she get's them.

I forsee myself building a *run* down the entire side of the building soon as well.

Quote:I worry about access. Big Red seems nearly too big for the bucket.

[​IMG]

So I'm not sure if she'd be able to squeeze in if the entrance were any tighter. How flexible are chickens anyways?!?

I put some carpet in the bottom of the buckets (thanks BYC) and covered it up with shavings. I'll see how that does and try straw if it doesn't work out.

Here's a few more pic's of the girls.

The Austra'

[​IMG]

The Cornish

[​IMG]

and the Seabrite struttin' her stuff.

[​IMG]

Rogue : Negative, in fact I had to look up where Alturas is. (That's really North!) I'm in the Hi-dez of So Cal. 2 hours from Vegas, L.A., the beach or the border.

~C~

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    welcome! great photos! the birds and coop are both great!

Big Red is a bucket full of chicken!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by