Its been a long time...

SoyBean

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
...since the last time I was here. I've been wanting chickens for a long time and my living situation has always stopped me. Soon we hope to move into a house across town. We will be renting but our soon-to-be-roommate who currently lives at the house says the landlord doesn't mind animals as long as we pay for damages, which is fair. We have a pretty decent back yard there and a dog pen. Our roommate was actually the first to mention chickens. She wants them for pets and eggs. (If its cost effective I might try and raise some for meat as well. I'm not sure how much chicks cost or how much they cost to raise.) The dog pen we would use as the chicken coop and yard. I'll take pictures of the area once we move which we hope to be in the next few weeks.

So where can we get good quality chicks and what are the first steps to both getting them, paying for them, getting them home, and raising them?

Well, welcome to the best site on the web for chickens, and lots of other things included. I spend way too much time on here, but people on this site are intelligent and helpful. Two great qualities in short supply these days.

Just do your research on this site. There are lists of hatcheries, and lots of how to forums, and a great search area too.

Welcome and good luck. I have about 35 chickens, more or less. 11 RIR chicks, 4 banty chicks, from new mamas.

I ordered chicks from Ideal Hatchery through my local feed store this spring, got them at 1 day old March 12, 09. Have been getting lots of eggs since September.

Donna in Oklahoma, USA

Back
Top Bottom