It's been a month...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmergirl96, Jun 16, 2011.

1. farmergirl96

farmergirl96 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    San Jose
    Hi all,
    My bantam hen has been broody for just over four-weeks and the eggs are not hatching.
    Is there a problem?
    --Hydrangea Turner

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Chicken eggs only take 3 weeks to hatch so you may want to remove the eggs from the hen and start over.

3. farmergirl96

Jun 16, 2011
    San Jose
    What will happen if I don't take them out?

4. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Candle them and find out if there's babies in there. If there are, leave them and see if she sticks to them.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Wouldn't that depend on when the last egg was layed. I've never had a broody hen. So I'm guessing here.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]
    You say she has been broody for four weeks but how long has she actually been sitting on the eggs? Have you tried to candle any?

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

the old ones will rot, attract bugs and possibly explode spoiling the other eggs by covering them in egg-yuck.

She should not have any 'new' eggs once she starts to sit- it goes like this: (and you may already know this but its not clear by your post, sorry if you already know this.)
    --------------

A person collects all eggs everyday, then decides they want chicks.

So instead of putting the new collected eggs that they want to hatch in the frigde they are left on the counter pointy side down in an egg carton.

When enough eggs are collected less then the hen can cover comfortably, (* for an intermediate, 6 for my bantams, 12 for my large foul) the eggs are marked with a non toxic marker or a pencil.

This is done because the laying hens will want to put their eggs there and all unmarked eggs must be collected every day.

Otherwise you will have some eggs that are 21 days old and hatching and some that are two days old and just starting...

Within the first 48 hours (or so) of having chicks under her the hen will quit setting eggs and the rest will die- the hatch chicks should receive care from her (lead to food, water, protected and kept warm).

Any eggs not hatched by the 25th day are not going to hatch (in my experience) even if helped the chick will likely die.

8. farmergirl96

Jun 16, 2011
    San Jose
    Thank you all for your speedy responses.
    So...first my responses:
    1. I don't know how to candle eggs
    2. I did not mark the eggs, and have accidentally put very new eggs under my hen (Judith).
    It went like this: this hen has way too many eggs under her (20!) so when other hens went to lay an egg I would put some of her eggs under them--hoping they'd be inspired to go broody. I'd come back later and the hen would be gone, and there would be one extra egg. And I didn't have the eggs marked so I'd put them all back under Judith. Yes, very stupid, I know. This happened about 3 times.
    3. She has been setting for 4 weeks now.

Now here's some news
    --------------------------
    After I got all yalls posts I went out to the coop, and was lamenting that I might have to take your advise and throw them out (I had to do that once before, and it was really sad).

I picked up an egg that I had noticed yesterday was dented (I thought through carelessness on the Judith's part). It had new dent that looked like it was from the inside, but it was on the top of the egg. In my experience the chicky turns around in a circle and the egg is broken in a straight line across the middle.

So I picked up the egg, and I felt a chicky turn around in it! Yesterday I am almost sure my sister and I could hear faint cheeping coming from the eggs.

Do you think there is hope for me yet?
    Please, everybody, chime in on this. I am very inexperienced and I need your help!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:There is a live chick in that egg!

I'd leave all of it alone until she abandons the nest- then you have two options

incubate the rest after candling or throwing them out.

Candling is when you look through an egg with a bright light... best to use a candling light or a maglite flashlight. http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

linky

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  10. farmergirl96

Jun 16, 2011
    San Jose
    Why don't you think they're hatching?
    I don't have a flash-light so I don't know what to do. =/
    Once again, I'd love everybody's opinions! I'll be really sad if this doesn't work out...
    --Hydrangea Hyacinthe Turner

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by