Its been a rough week on the farm

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by first time farmer, Jan 2, 2009.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Ok so its my first winter with chickens and i know that its a farm and sometimes bad things happen. It all started on 12/29/08 when i found scratch marks on the coop and figured out that a dog or something was trying to get into the coop. Thank god it didn't. Than on thursday I found one of my bantams dead. She had frozen in the below zero weather we were having. The light in the coop went out. Figures it picks the coldest night to burn out on me. I put a new light (a much stronger one to keep the girls nice and toasty). I think she died one new yeas so so far 2009 has been issue free I am going to keep it that way

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Something bad is bound to happen again. It's a part of nature. Get used to it. as Walter Cronkite used to say... "... and that's the way it is, January 2nd, 2009, good night"

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:It's always nice to have a new beginning- even if it just means putting up a new calender.

4. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    That it is....and i know i just have to get used to it but i have wanted a farm since i was six and now that I am 16 I was able to convince the financial advisors/parents/farm hands LOL to let me start the (small) farm and i had had such good luck but like I said its a farm things happen. oh and sorry for posting this in the online poultry show i accedently clicked the wrong topic ooops

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by