It's been a tough two days....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by P-Dog, Jun 14, 2016.

1. P-Dog

P-Dog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Kawaihae, Hawaii
    We've had our lowest girl separated from the flock for a few days because the other girls have been picking on her a bit for the past few weeks. We rescued a new hen recently and it has really messed up the pecking order of the flock. Our poor Lexie has been taking the brunt of it so we've taken her out to give her some alone time to regrow some feathers.

Our isolation coop is directly next to the main coop so they can all see each other and interact through the hardware clothe. We let them out every afternoon to play in the yard and dust bathe, etc before going back inside. Yesterday, apparently, I forgot to close the isolation coop door all the way and my dogs attacked her as she wandered the yard. It was the worst sound in the world as they ripped her feathers out as the other chickens watched and called for help. I got out there, made the dogs let her go, and she ran away - I thought to die in the tall grass. I found her about twenty minutes later missing all the feathers on her back side with one puncture wound and panting like crazy. I took her inside, cleaned her up and kept her inside for several hours as I apologized for letting her down and told her how brave she was. No broken bones, two punctures, and 1/3 of her feathers gone. I didn't sleep at all thinking of her out there in her coop struggling to survive and re-living that awful attack over and over again in my mind. Good news is that she survived the night and seems okay. Poor Lexie.

Today, we noticed our broodie hen, Finn, has been pecked on her face. There is a scab and what looks like MITES on her face in the little creases around her eyes. Not a single one of the other hens has anything at all that resembles mites. I've never seen mites before and I'm hoping I'm wrong. They are super tiny(smaller than pinheads) and are brown. Dark brown. Definitely NOT red. Even though Finn is broody, I make her come out every day and she is still taking a perfunctory dust bath.

Again, the other hens don't have anything like that on them. Could it be related to the face peck? Or is it likely to be mites? If so, how do we treat it??? Help!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  3. P-Dog

P-Dog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Kawaihae, Hawaii
    Thank you. Stick tight fleas looks like the culprit. We'll be on that tomorrow. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by