Its been a while

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fuzz, Apr 21, 2009.

1. fuzz

fuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    I'm sure nobody remembers me but I was on here a LONG time ago, didn't post much but I havent lost my affection for chickees!

My names Megan, I raise rabbits (American Fuzzy Lops), I also have 2 dogs, 1 bird, 1 mouse, 2 cats, well..over 40 rabbits but I lost count [​IMG] I am finally getting my chickens after 2 years of begging and pleading. We are going to order chicks from our local town and country store. I have already purchased chick starter feed, feeders, waterers, duramycin and I already have sawdust and a heat lamp. Oh I bought a heat light [​IMG] I'm still a beginnner so any tips would be really appreciated. I have read all the articles I can and they pretty much say the same. I am probally going to have 9 or so. I want an assortment of Sultans, Silkies, Polish, Barred Rocks and maybe even a few hampshire reds. I mostly want the Sultans and Silkies for pets and maybe a show or two but thats just an iffy. But the Rocks, reds and polish for eggs.

I plan on keeping the chicks in a large box until their coop is finished, we are converting a rabbit hutch into a coop and keeping them in our fence or just building one from scratch.

I do have a few questions, I might as well put here.

For ordering Bantams like the Silkies and Sultans. I cannot order sex and I only want hens and no roosters. I need quiet birds or my neighbors will yell. What happens if I end up with all roosters? Will they fight? I would end up giving them away.

Well, I can't wait to get to know this community again!

Megan

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Welcome Back! [​IMG]

3. fuzz

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Thank You [​IMG]

4. cat123

cat123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    South Ga
    For ordering Bantams like the Silkies and Sultans. I cannot order sex and I only want hens and no roosters. I need quiet birds or my neighbors will yell. What happens if I end up with all roosters? Will they fight? I would end up giving them away.

Welcome back!

The roos will not fight for several months, giving you plenty of time to figure out the sexes and get rid of the roos.
    Glad you are finally getting chickens, I too had to "beg" for awhile

5. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
  6. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

8. Buckhorn Farm

Buckhorn Farm OLD Country Girl

Mar 30, 2009
    North Florida
    [​IMG] back from FL

9. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    [​IMG] back from Indiana

10. fuzz

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Thank You [​IMG] That website helped alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by