It's been awhile...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mother Flocker, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Mother Flocker

Mother Flocker New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
    Hello Everyone-

Looks like a real friendly group you have here. We are excited to be in on the chicken action !

We had some chickens when I was a kid, but don't remember much about their care. Wished I would have paid a bit more attention ! Now that I have my own kids, I thought they should get involved raising animals that do more than just poop in the yard.

I'll be building my coop over the next month and that is actually what got me to this great site. I'd like to use cedar, but read some warnings about respiratory problems. I'd imagine that would be the case for bedding made of shavings, but can't believe walls made of cedar would be a problem? I'll do some more research.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Yes, I have heard about cedar shavings not being good for chickens but not about cedar boards. Would seem like it would be alright but as you say, more research might yield a more definitive answer. Best of luck to you!

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello, Welcome to BYC, Glad you joined us!
    [​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I also have chickens for the same reason. My daughter doesn't even stop at the house...she is straight off the bus to the coop to see what the girls laid and then inside. (it hasnt snowed yet ;) ) I read a thread on here earlier that said cedar boards do not pose the same problem because the surface releasing the "aroma/oils" isn't as great as in shavings. If I find it I will post the link on here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by