1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's been longer then 24 hours, should I help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Qualara, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Qualara

Qualara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia
    I had a chick pip over 24 hours ago, it's made no progress. The membrane is super dry and white. The other chick hatched yesterday just fine. Should I help? It's chirping at me, I can see it's beak.

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Usually if the membrane is dry, it will turn yellow/tan/brown and get very hard. White is a healthy color. Imo, I would give it to 30 hours, then make the hole a little bigger and see if you can see any veins in the membrane. Usually when my chicks hit 24 hours with a pip, I start to panic and then within the next couple hours they are zipping (they do it just to scare me, I'm sure ;) )Before you do anything, read the assisted guide to hatching. I can post a link if you need.

3. Qualara

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia

Yeah the last thing I want to do it rush things, this is my only FW Maran egg that made it, so I don't want to risk anything! I've read that guide, but hopefully I wont need to use it.

4. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Did it hatch??

5. Qualara

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia

It was truly stuck. The membrane had dried to its feathers so I pulled away the shell and wet the membrane and it was about to push out. It was screaming to get out, very panicked. 32 hours I decided it was too much for it.

6. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008

Is the chick okay??

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I don't let my chicks go over 24 hours without starting an assist. At 18 hours with no progress I check on them to make sure that there is no obvious problems then I replace them to the bator and if nothng by 24 I start an assist and go until I hit veining, then replace them and repeat if neccessary. A good share of the time they finish themselves.

8. Qualara

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia

Very ok thanks for asking! He was sooooooo happy to be out, running, eating and drinking like a pro.

9. Qualara

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia

I don't normally either, but the veins where so red I didn't want it to bleed.

10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yeah, that makes a big difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by