1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's beginning and way to early

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Lydia, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    With the warm weather we have been having my ducks are a bit confused, the mating has already begun which means eggs will soon follow, but this morning my 2 youngest drakes 1.5yrs and 9 month old got into 2 fights, first one I let them go at it but they were too close to the fence and were beating their wings up on the fence so i broke it up, Then about 15 min later they went out it again, my dh said the only way to get it settled is to let them fight it out so we stood and watched, no one was bloody which it would have been hard for me not to step in at that point it was more a wrestling match, and finally my older got the younger on his back which made the younger run with the older on his trail he got the younger down and pretty much just held them there for a few min and just kind of nibbled him not hard at all just like he was making a point, then it was over. I would never let my boys fight till one was severely injured but I'm thinking this was the best thing to keep the peace in the flock. The younger has had an attitude which got adjusted this morning. Boy I am not ready for this. LOL The look on everyones face was priceless though, all the girls just stood and watched kinda like a cheering squad. The the winner had 8 girls hanging out around him the other 2 didn't seem the least bit interested. they have been through too many seasons of this I guess. [​IMG]

2. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    my Runners who normally are a little private about mating ....well lets just say it is hard to look out the window at the ducks and NOT see mating going on, or one drake chasing the other around.[​IMG]

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Yup the weather has been odd. Yesterday it was 70 here, this morning, 29. [​IMG]

I haven't had to deal with battling drakes yet. When I had too many before, they went to freezer camp. That is not something that I'm looking forward to. It sounds like you handled it the right way by letting them figure it out.

I have 2 more ducks that started laying last week. The ducklings are almost 6 weeks old now. The roosters have started breeding the hens. I don't think they know what is going on.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I forgot to mention my dominant roo thought he'd join in at one point boy did he get out of there fast. Those wings are brutal. Our Gander kept his distance too he didn't want to get into that mix . Our dachshund thought he's try and break it up though we had to call him off. Crazy thing.

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    [​IMG]

I've had some of the girls fighting a bit. Our little dogs just watch them. Our LGD in training just looks at them then turns away. ;)

6. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    My dogs act confused by the drake fights too. I must say that Jdywntr, I agree with you about camp. Too many drakes-- Too much fighting in the flock-- not a good thing.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Right now I have 3 Drakes one which is in retirement in the front with 2 ducks who are also 8yrs old, so that leaves 2 Drakes to 8 ducks, which just watching them today had more to do with dominance over each other than the ducks. They have plenty of space to stay out of each others way and plenty of girls to go around. Neither of these will go to freezer camp. They will get separated if it escalates too much.

8. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Just wondering..... Since Muscovies are seasonal layers, do they breed spring to fall like domestic duck breeds? When exactly is laying season for Muscovies?

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    The annoying part? that may not make any difference who "won" this time... as you know i have two drakes remaining and despite having both win on separate occasions it has not prevented the duke outs starting again... [​IMG]

I usually let things be as well, that said, i will step in whens things get to intense, the black drake(otherwise known as "BD" ) is totally submissive to myself, he thinks i am THE top drake so i can get him to cease, my other guy(older/bigger) is just not a fighter...

Funny, you mention the girls train wreak looking lol I find ours do that as well, mind you it's mainly the younger ones who of coarse have not seen this before... [​IMG] We've shot down cold again but that warm spell sure through things into a tizzy, it better snow again THAT slowed the nonsense down!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    sounds about right, i have a dog(well it's actually DH) but anyhow and he is half doxie.. he's a bold little guy...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by