1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's cold! Broody hen ok?

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by beegirl4, Oct 30, 2015.

1. beegirl4

beegirl4 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    I have a 8/9 month old Black Australorp who has gone broody a few times before but she stopped once I took the eggs. I accidentally left one of my nest boxes for a few days last week and she has been sitting on eggs. She had 3 golf balls under her, along with 8 eggs (one I broke). I candled them all and they are about 72 hours old. I feel bad taking them away now. It is getting pretty cold here. Is it ok if she hatches a clutch going into the winter? I'm sure this has been asked before...

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    From what other members say, raising chicks in winter is fine - she'll look after the chicks and keep them warm.

3. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    How cold are you talking? Or maybe a better question; where are you located?

A broody is way better than a brooder, IMO, but you might consider a supplemental heat source if you're into freezing at night. She might have a hard time keeping all of them warm if you end up with 100% hatch.

This coming from Colorado lol, its downright frosty and snow already in places... I have a mom with a 3 week old, little bugger gets chilly sometimes, but with just one, she's doing just fine. More than that and I would plug in the lamp.

Hope she does a good job for you :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by