It's cold in Texas!

Sara K

Chirping
6 Years
May 30, 2013
It has been unseasonably cold here and my girls have been fine. We have no heater in the coop, but we have been putting hot water in milk bottles in the coop. They snuggle up to them. It is the same principle when we put ice in milk jugs in their coop in the summer. We have been giving them warm oatmeal in the morning and warm water to drink. They have been ok.

Mine love the warm oatmeal as well. Just three days and they will wait for me to bring it to them, lol!

The weather got cold enough to freeze the water in the nipples despite the aquarium heater. Several times a day I had to take them some water to make sure they weren't thirsty. Once it got into the 20's, the nipples thawed.

What breeds do you have?
My flock has 1 dominique, 1 buff brahma, 2 wyandottes. They don't seem to mind the temp as long as the wind is off of them. My dominique slipped on the ice and about did the splits, the poor thing!
The dominique started laying last week (started the day of the cold front we had last week). My brahma started laying the day of this recent cold front. Weird how they've picked cold fronts to start laying.

Cream legbars, who do not like cold, but don't mind the heat. And leghorn/orpington mix, who don't mind cold and HATE heat. Hang tight. Looks like we may thaw out this week.

Back
Top Bottom