It's contagious!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TurkeyMountainChickens, Jun 16, 2010.

1. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    So..... One hen went broody. After a few days I figured, OK, let her have some eggs. So she's sitting on some olive egger eggs. Then hen number two thought it looked like a good idea. And now there are THREE!!!

I don't know whether to [​IMG] or [​IMG] !

The problem is, they are now occupying all three nest boxes. I set up a five gallon bucket on it's side with some wood shavings in it, and added a small bookcase on it's side (12x12 cubbies). Nobody likes either.

Anybody got a good plan for a quick and easy nest box that can go inside a coop? I really don't want to cut a new hole in the side.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. TheBeatlesAddict

TheBeatlesAddict Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    elkhart, indiana
    my girls arent old enough to lay yet so i am no help but that is too funny [​IMG]

3. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    I've heard good things about milk crates.

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    A small kitty litter box with a top; great privacy....

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I use a small doghouse and it's the preferred nest around here. Sometimes you can get 'em cheap on craigslist.

6. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Ok.... now there are FOUR broody hens in my coop! FOUR!

Thanks for the easy nest box ideas - I'll be looking for kitty boxes and dog houses!

7. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    Lol, I feel your pain. We came home from vacation a couple of weeks ago to find 11 broody hens. For a few days we had hens stuck in every cage we could find to attempt to break them.

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    [​IMG] Well...if this keeps spreading you may just have to cull! [​IMG] Just kidding...FOUR broodies...WOW! Who's gonna make your breakfast now?!?!

9. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am new to chickens, so please forgive my ignorance. But, why is it bad to have them go broody? What exactly do they do when they are broody?? TIA!

10. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Hens that are broody stop laying eggs. They just concentrate on raising the real or not so real eggs. They don't eat much, they stay on the nest, and sometimes get thin.

I had one last year, and she raised chicks, I thought it was wonderful. This year, no one took the challenge. Just jump of the nest, and I think they wiggle a little bit and humm, 'summertime and the living is easy'

this is because I am broody challenged, and having to raise baby chicks by myself, cleaning up after them, worrying, ect. With a broody hen, you are more like a favored aunt, you bring all the treats, but don't have the work.

oh, well, maybe next time. It just seems a tad unfair, that some of you can get tooo many, and some of us, can't get any to do it.

4 is quite a lot, what will you do for breakfast?

mk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by