It's contagious!

TurkeyMountainChickens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Central Virginia
So..... One hen went broody. After a few days I figured, OK, let her have some eggs. So she's sitting on some olive egger eggs. Then hen number two thought it looked like a good idea. And now there are THREE!!!

I don't know whether to
lau.gif
or
he.gif
!

The problem is, they are now occupying all three nest boxes. I set up a five gallon bucket on it's side with some wood shavings in it, and added a small bookcase on it's side (12x12 cubbies). Nobody likes either.

Anybody got a good plan for a quick and easy nest box that can go inside a coop? I really don't want to cut a new hole in the side.

Last edited:
Lol, I feel your pain. We came home from vacation a couple of weeks ago to find 11 broody hens. For a few days we had hens stuck in every cage we could find to attempt to break them.

lol.png
Well...if this keeps spreading you may just have to cull!
lol.png
Just kidding...FOUR broodies...WOW! Who's gonna make your breakfast now?!?!

I am new to chickens, so please forgive my ignorance. But, why is it bad to have them go broody? What exactly do they do when they are broody?? TIA!

Hens that are broody stop laying eggs. They just concentrate on raising the real or not so real eggs. They don't eat much, they stay on the nest, and sometimes get thin.

I had one last year, and she raised chicks, I thought it was wonderful. This year, no one took the challenge. Just jump of the nest, and I think they wiggle a little bit and humm, 'summertime and the living is easy'

this is because I am broody challenged, and having to raise baby chicks by myself, cleaning up after them, worrying, ect. With a broody hen, you are more like a favored aunt, you bring all the treats, but don't have the work.

oh, well, maybe next time. It just seems a tad unfair, that some of you can get tooo many, and some of us, can't get any to do it.

4 is quite a lot, what will you do for breakfast?

mk

Back
Top Bottom