It's D Day

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by myhubbycallsmechickeemama, Jun 20, 2011.

1. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Well....today we send our meaties to freezer camp, I'm a little apprehensive and feel almost a little sad. Sure hope I can do this!![​IMG] Wish me luck, this is my first time. Of course the wind is blowing and it's chilly today. Allergies should be in top form. [​IMG]

2. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    Good luck and hope the allergies stay under control.

3. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Good luck - please post how it went when you are done. DH and I are growing our first batch of 12 meaties and we are seriously thinking of starting a batch of Cornish X to fill the freezer. DH will do the deed but I will be there right along side defeathering and helping with the process. I am wondering how I will feel when that time comes as well - good luck!! You can do it!! [​IMG]

4. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Sending positive thoughts your way. Let us know how it goes! [​IMG]

-Jessa

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Good luck!! Hope everything is going well!!!

6. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    7 done and 12 to go. We had to stop and eat lunch. [​IMG] I'm sure we'll end up finishing them tomorrow. Our first one, I cried my eyes out but I'm getting much better now. We over scalded the 1st one so ended up skinning it. I think there is a learning curve to the whole scald and plucker thing but we are getting better. [​IMG] I'm really surprised that there is no smell. Is that normal because I have a very sensitive sniffer and was afraid it was going to make me sick but honestly, no yucky smell at all!! [​IMG]

Jessa....wish you were here to help!!! [​IMG]

7. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Yay!![​IMG] So proud of you. I am sorry that it made you cry [​IMG] and truly hope you are really feeling much much better as you do more birds. I too was really surprised at the lack of smell. I remembered that horrible feather smell from scalding the chickens growing up, but when we did it this past weekend, nothing! Was a pleasant surprise!

Nice job chickeemama!!! [​IMG]

-Jessa

8. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Weighed a couple of my meaties and one dressed at 6.8lbs and the other dressed at 7.3lbs. I'm a happy chickeemama!!!! I'll weigh all of them when I get ready to vacu-seal them so I know exactly how much meat I got opposed to how much feed I used. Our girl meaties got a reprieve today. We have a couple of girls that are every bit as big as the boys. [​IMG]

9. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Nice job!! That is such an inspiration to me that it can be done (even by us newbies!!)

10. homestead tim

homestead tim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    I have 1 week from today for my meaties. I really cant wait. [​IMG] Freezer camp, here we come!!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by