1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Its dark in the egg!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fancy Feather Poultry, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    I candeled my eggs today and there at day 8. One of them I know is alive and growing, anouther one is black but you can see vanes. The other two are just dark! I cant see anything thing could this be something wrong I dont kno what going on, should I keep them in the bator still? or crack them open? :|

2. joannamarie

joannamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    mine were just dark like that couldnt see veins or movement 2 out of 3 eggs hatched

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Is the entire inside dark, or is it just that they are dark eggs and you can't see. If on day 8 and they are completely dark, I would pitch them. Check out this website.
    http://www.shilala.com/candling.html

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    some of my first eggs where dark and they hatched so I would wait a while longer to be safe.

5. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    The end of the eggs are dark not the whole egg.

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Keep em...

7. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    im in the same boat...at day 16 today and the eggs have basically an air sac and the rest of the egg is dark...i guess the lil chick is just filling up all the room...is this normal? Am i supposed to see movement still?

8. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    its not fully dark just the end when u look at it from like this special side of the egg it look like a upside down "U" of darkness

9. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I wish there were more pics on the web of eggs in the later stages of development. There's plenty of pics up to day 7, but after that there's really nothing... I did find some of duck eggs, but since they go to 28 days it's hard to compare them to the development of chicken eggs.

Maybe after a few hatches, I will try to do some pics myself so others will have them to reference.

10. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    That would be nice, but im not sure if this is dead or what. I might be just the chick

developing with yolk around it im not sure. But if it starts to stink i'll know why and im gonna get rid of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by