It's day 17, and I have a chick hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RoyalLegend, Jan 14, 2013.

1. RoyalLegend

RoyalLegend Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2012
    I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it! It's almost got the top off, and I haven't taken the turner out of the incubator yet!
    They aren't due until the 18th!
    I was going to take out the turner in the morning, and increase the humidity then. Now what???

I better wait till he finishes, and then get out the turner.... yes?
    I don't want to dry him out....

I haven't had this happen before!

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wait till he is done and dry a little then take a flashlight and bator still closed check carefully for pips , then take him and the turner out. I had a little one a few hatches ago that hatched like 2 days or so befor anyone else, he was a big fat EE with huge feet lol we snuggled for a few days till he had friends to be with.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  3. If I have eggs in the incubator due on different dates I take the middle trays out and place the eggs going on lock down in the middle and the other eggs can still turn.

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I had a duckling start pipping in the egg turner before being put on lockdown. The racks move so slow that there should be time for it to move out of the way before being squashed by the racks. Or you could just unplug the turner because chances are if one hatched already the others will shortly follow.

5. myfinefeatheredfriends

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Congrats on the baby btw!

6. myfinefeatheredfriends

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Oh and keep updated on the hatch :) Maybe add pics?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by