It's day 19 and things are starting to happen!!! - UPDATE WITH PICS!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chellester, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I'm on day 19 with my first attempt ever with hatching a batch of eggs. They are the 9 Mille Fleur D'Uccle eggs I bought on eggbid.

I moved them from the incubating incbubator to the hatching incubator last night. I candled them all before moving them, and they all seemed like they were all alive and at the right stage of development. After I moved them, I could see some of the eggs moving a bit, so I saw both those things as a good sign.

This morning, I didn't notice as much movement, so I got a little nervous (HA! who am I kidding? I got A LOT nervous!!!). I thought: maybe I didn't have the hatching incubator at the right temp? I have two thermometers in there, but maybe they're both wrong? Maybe the humidity gauge is reading wrong? (It's at 72%.) Maybe there's something else I missed?

Anyway, after a lot of worrying, this afternoon I noticed the eggs moving again, and now I can hear cheeping coming from 2 or 3 of them, so I know things are still happening. No pips that I can see yet, but I'm hoping things keep progressing and I see some soon!

I wonder if I'm going to be able to sleep tonight? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  2. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Oh it's so exciting. [​IMG]

The joy of hatching is like being a grandmother.

Please keep us posted.

jackie

3. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Sounds exciting. Next spring, I'm gonna give it a try.

4. Chellester

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    It is very exciting, but very nerve-racking too!!! [​IMG]

5. Chellester

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Question for hatching veterans: How long, roughly, between peeping and pipping?

6. Sharona

Sharona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2007
    Illinois
    Now I'm concerned - my button quail are due to hatch on Thursday and I've not seen or heard anything. I wasn't really expecting anything until tomorrow night or early Thursday. I haven't been able to candle because of the dark color and small size of the eggs. Should I have seen or heard something already?

7. Chellester

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Sharona- I wouldn't worry; mine are starting earlier than what they should have.

8. Sharona

Sharona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh ok, I was sitting here rethinking everything I've done and starting to panic a tad. I guess it's silly to worry so much but I can't help it. Thanks that relieves my mind.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  9. Chellester

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I don't think it's silly at all! And I'm doing the same thing: worrying about every little thing, questioning everything I've done up to this point.

10. Chellester

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I just got my first pip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was so tiny, I almost didn't see it, but I (very quickly) shined a flashlight on it, and sure enough! About the size of a large pinhead.

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by