It's day 20 and three have popped out!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick-o-plenty, May 5, 2011.

1. chick-o-plenty

chick-o-plenty New Egg

May 27, 2010
    North Central Ohio
    Today is day number 20 and I already have three new babies:D[​IMG] I also have four more pipping. Hopefully everything goes good the next couple days. This is my first hatch, and I'm happy with the way things are going.
    I am wondering how long to leave the new guys in the bator. Should I take them out after they dry out? This is what I was planning on doing, but I don't want to cause any problems with the remaining eggs.
    I have lots of pictures that I would like to post, but I guess I can't post them yet.[​IMG] Anyway, I would like to thank the people on here for all of the great information they provide. I have got a lot of helpful info from this forum the last year and a half and it's greatly appreciated.

2. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Congratulations and good wishes for the rest of them! [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You can leave chicks in the incubator for two days, I believe. Now, a friend of mine takes them out as they fluff, and sprays a very fine mist of warm water in the incubator to keep humidity levels high. Most people, however, say not to open the incubator, otherwise you will decrease the humidity and could cause problems for the pipped and unhatched chicks......

I think I'd play it safe. You know the chicks will be warm and safe, and they don't need food or even water because they have that yolk absorbed to live on.....

Congratulations!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by