It's day 20, why haven't they hatched?!!!!

Sphinx

Crowing
13 Years
May 10, 2010
Utah
Yes, yes. I completely understand that normal gestation for a chicken is 21 days.

But I've been so patient. They should hatch early for me. Other people get early hatches. I should too.

(I gave up all soda/sugar/sweets for the month of January, which means I'm going through some serious withdrawals right now. I may be a teensy, tiny bit on edge....)

Quote:
th.gif
I think I'd have to be committed. And while I hate to take comfort from other's misfortune, I do feel better. Actually, my last hatch had a zero hatch rate- it turned out my incubator was broken. I thought it was just the turner, but it was something a lot more serious. This is my first hatch since it was repaired, so I've been fretting. At least last time I was fairly convinced they'd all died by day 13-14, so I wasn't on the edge of my seat. I hope you have some pips today.
fl.gif

I hate hatching, and yet, I still do it......Oh the waiting! Very bothersome......Mine always seem to start hatching right after lockdown....Then I worry about the eggs that haven't hatched by day 21....are they shrink wrapped in there? Are they trying desperately to get out with no luck? WORRY WORRY WORRY......

I just can't stand it....and yet I am addicted......
hmm.png

Quote:
th.gif
I think I'd have to be committed. And while I hate to take comfort from other's misfortune, I do feel better. Actually, my last hatch had a zero hatch rate- it turned out my incubator was broken. I thought it was just the turner, but it was something a lot more serious. This is my first hatch since it was repaired, so I've been fretting. At least last time I was fairly convinced they'd all died by day 13-14, so I wasn't on the edge of my seat. I hope you have some pips today.
fl.gif

This is our third 0 hatch since we moved here. I don't understand. In our last house, using the exact same parameters and exact same incubators, we would always get at least a few chicks every hatch! We had so many chicks last spring, we were GIVING them away because I couldn't sell them fast enough!

I think it has to do with the arid climate we moved to. No matter what I do during lockdown, I can never get the humidity over 50%, and they die in lockdown. I am going to try a dry hatch next time and not fill the water trays until lockdown and hopefully won't kill another batch at the end of incubation.

Hmm, maybe the humidity change is the factor. I live in a very dry climate, but we've put a humidifier on our furnace, so our house is sitting around 55% humidity, which is nice.

I think I figured out why they haven't hatched early- I gave birth to all of my human babies before my due date, so this is karma from all of the overdue women out there.

Back
Top Bottom