It's day 21! First ever babies should be arriving.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mixed Chooks, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Mixed Chooks

Mixed Chooks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Wyndham
    Hi All,

We have finally managed to have a broody hen AND fertile eggs at the same time! Has only taken almost 5 years!

Well, it is day 21 by my count and I am like a cat on a hot tin roof. I keep going over and checking on her, asking her if she has any babies yet, but so far nothing. Will I be able to see them when they are first hatched, or will she keep them conceled from me? I hope this is not a dumb question.

2. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    You can do it! I hope that all the babies are happy and healthy and quick! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Good luck... and BTW... we need pictures.

(So glad you found us!)

[​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Good luck!

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
  6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

More than likely, you will have to lift her up to see the babies because she'll be keeping them warm. GOOD LUCK ON THE HATCH!
    BTW, what state are you in; wherever, sure hope you're having good, warm weather.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Good luck. You should be able to hear them when they come out. The last time I had a broddy hatch, the babies would poke their heads out from between her wings. Be sure to post pics.

8. Mixed Chooks

Dec 9, 2009
    Wyndham
    Day 22 this morning - no sign or sound of babies yet, but my little red hen is still looking very determined. I think I would need rigger's gloves to try to move her, she would try to tear me apart! This is her third "attempt" to hatch eggs, but as I said before, we have not had a rooster before at the times she has become broody. Last time I tried giving her some eggs from a friend's farm that should have been fertile, but I think I left it too long - she got off them about 15 days into it.

We are just going into our summer here, so a mild 70 - 80F during the days and only dropping to about 50 at a minimum over night. The coupe is quite warm inside but is also shaded from the hot sun during the day.

I figure with having them hatch with "Mum" the day count could be all over the place, but we will see what happens. I know some of the other chooks have continued to lay their eggs in with her, so goodness only knows what eggs she has etc.

Once I have something to photograph I most certainly will be sharing them, thank you all for your good wishes. I shall continue to pace - I keep telling myself it is my imagination that our rooster appears to "pace" with me, I know he usually walks like that! lol

9. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good luck!!!

10. Mixed Chooks

Dec 9, 2009
    Wyndham
    Afternoon of day 22: We have cheeping sounds!!!!!!! She is not letting me see anything yet, but I can definately HEAR them!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now I will try to at least work out how to add a pick of my very protective Mum and proud Dad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully that will work - computers are not my first language!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by