it's day 28 for my duck eggs, and nothing is happening...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickensducks&agoose, Jun 19, 2010.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

of course, I'm not even sure they were fertilized to begin with... but we were hoping! and I haven't candled because Mrs Duck is seriously evil, and when I tried to see how many eggs there were, she ripped off a large chunk of hand skin... i think 12 or 13 eggs..... I'll update if i see any action!

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, if natural incubation is like incubator incubation, it might just take longer.

I did Rouen eggs in my new Brinsea Octagon Advance Automatic, set exactly as they said with 99.6 degrees and 45% RH during incubation, "lockdown" on day 26 with humidity at 65% for hatching. They pipped on day 28, but it took them up to an extra 24 to 48 hours to really hatch.

Same with turkeys I did in there as well. So, I'm kind of feeling like the 28 day figure is just sort of a best case or earliest possible hatching estimate -- in the real world, as they say, your mileage may vary.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

That is assuming the temps are perfect under the duck. Incubation will take longer if they are only slightly lower. That can be caused by colder temps around the duck too. Plus not all eggs are laid at the same time. So give it another week before giving up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by