Its day 29 and I havent seen any ducklings:(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Paintedhorsegirl, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Paintedhorsegirl

Paintedhorsegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    My mallard had been on her nest for about 29 days, she started sitting on it after she layed her first egg and laid a second one the next day..So sense the first egg 29 days but sense the second 28 days. She is also on about 8 other duck eggs that arent hers, I realized after about a week that another duck was dumping her eggs in the nest everyday. So they are all due to hatch on different days but the mallard eggs are due now. Ive had her seperated sense about a week after she started on her nest and everytime Ive gone near the nest she has hissed gotten off her nest and ran in a circle , hissing. But today she stands over the nest, spreads her wings to continue to cover the nest and hisses. Do you think this mean maybe they are starting to hatch under her? I wish I could look but she wont get off that nest at all today, the longest she has been off the nest is 1 or 2 minutes in almost a month. So Im pretty sure the eggs have developed properly..Another question it is only around 50 out during the day and still gets down to 30's at night. If the ducklings hatch will they survive with it being so cold. I have a heat lamp in the coop about a foot and a half away from the nest, does the mother keep them warm enough to survive? Sorry lots of questions, Im getting excited and worried at the same time....

2. luluch10

luluch10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Silk Hope, NC
    I have read a couple of places that ducks can take up to 33 days to hatch sometimes, if it is that cold out maybe she needs a few extra days.

3. Paintedhorsegirl

Mar 23, 2011
    So maybe I should give her another week?

4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    If she is still setting and NOT rejecting eggs.... give her some more time. [​IMG]

5. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    I hatched my eggs in an incubator, but all 3 waited until day 33 to come out. [​IMG]

6. Paintedhorsegirl

Mar 23, 2011
    Quote:What breed of ducks did you hatch? mine are mallard and pekin eggs

7. Paintedhorsegirl

Mar 23, 2011
    Quote:So as long as she is still sitting then you think they should be fine?

8. Paintedhorsegirl

Mar 23, 2011
    Day 30..still no ducklings:(

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If she started sitting on only one egg- and some duck kept laying more in her nest- then most of them are not yet overdue. Dont give up on them yet. Did you ever candle the eggs at all while being incubated?

10. KBChicks

KBChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    PA
    The wait is a killer isn't it?!! [​IMG]

I'm sure with in another day you'll be seeing babies.

And I wouldn't be too concerned about the weather....their momma will take very good care of them. You can help them by putting out crumble and water but otherwise, momma duck will keep them warm..
    Our mallards hatched April 7th and are doing just fine outside (it's just a smidge over 40 this morning)

Good luck! Can't wait to see pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by