It's finally done and everyone is moved in!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Thousand Oaks Family, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Thousand Oaks Family

Thousand Oaks Family Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    The day we can't wait to get to has come. Love to get some feedback. I am proud of my work. It started from a simple coop I saw at the store and I modified on a slightly bigger scale. I bought 3 hens and a very ugly but quite functional coop over the summer. You can see the old coop in the pictures. The white box in the background. We ended up getting some chicks shortly after and therefore we needed more room. The final size was 4' x 6' which should more than cover the 6 chickens i have now. It was relatively inexpensive to build. I think the paint was the single most expensive piece i bought other than the automated door motor which is a dream that I couldn't be without. Everything was plywood and 1x2s and 2x2s. I spent a little extra on some nice trim pieces but that really pulled it together and made it look sharp in my opinion. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I know looking at everyone's posts on here really helped to give me ideas. I wasn't planning on doing a poop board but so glad i did now. I didn't plan on it so it was an afterthought but worked just fine. I had the wood to spare. I had my barred rock chicks in there at around 17 weeks during construction. There were no nesting boxes or roosting area or paint at that time. I just moved my other hens over a few days ago. That went well. I had put their runs next to each other so i think that helped the transition. There has been minor scuffles but nothing major. However one hen flew back to the old coop the first 2 nights and tried to roost there until I moved her. Tonight i closed up the old one for good and she went into the new coop. I am debating whether to get rid of the old one but will probably keep it in case we get new chicks or illness etc. The only really left to do is the run. I have two temporary ones right now that i have to make into one permanent one. Well here it is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. jessylee

jessylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    Wow I am sooo envious Nice craftsmanship Only thing I can think of is maybe painting the inside with KILZ, makes it so easy to clean! [​IMG]!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I think it looks great! One day I hope to be able to move from my ugly coop to something that nice.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    That looks great! Wish mine looked that good. I would keep the other coop. We started with one small coop, added onto that and now have another we use as a grow out coop.

5. Thousand Oaks Family

Thousand Oaks Family Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Quote:I know I need to paint inside. It was a struggle getting to this point. Hopefully in the spring.

6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Very nice for sure!!

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    looks nice!! chickens look like they are enjoying it too! [​IMG]

8. Klukkin Ken

Klukkin Ken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    That is an awesome looking coop. [​IMG]
    Any idea how well the shingles on the nest boxes will hold up from being bent back and forth when you open it up?
    Great job.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

VERY nice!

Do keep the old coop - it will serve as a good grow-out coop for new chicks, or an infirmary, if necessary.

10. saf101

saf101 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa Furnace, PA
    Very nice work

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by