1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's Finally Inhabitable if not completed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Clay In Iowa, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    I Finally have a working coop. There are a few things that need to be finished off but at least the kids have bigger (12x12) digs to poop in.

I have an old barn on my property that was once, many years ago a hog confinement. At least that's what it smells like.

[​IMG]

I figured that even with the years of neglect and damage from hogs it could still be turned into a nice coop. You can see some of the problems I had to fix. Missing/broken boards, hole big enough for me to crawl through etc
    [​IMG]

My first plan of action was to remove the metal siding and then grab a sledge hammer and start pounding all this old crap off the walls.

[​IMG]

Then it I went back to work replacing the support beam, some of which have rotted off and no longer touch the floor. I'm surprised this building is still standing. Then I covered the sides with 1/2 in CDX plywood and framed in the inside for a second panel. This will give me a dead air space with out attracting mice to insulation.

[​IMG]

Move to next sections and repeat.
    [​IMG]

I managed to get all three sections on the west side done a about week ago and to get the interior walls finished. Then this week end my Father in law was in town so we tore the North side off and got busy tightening things up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We managed to get the roosts up and the door completed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things I still need to do....

I put vents in the Ceiling that will hinged lids to shut them down a bit in the winter for heat retention. In the summer they'll be left open for ventilation.

[​IMG]

I'll eventually put nest boxes under the Hardware cloth next to the door.

And I'll add windows in the corner on the North and West walls. The pop door to an 800 foot+ run will be right under the future windows on the West wall.

[​IMG]

For now the kids seem to like it.

[​IMG]

I know my son and his favorite chicken are enjoying it.

[​IMG]

I'll be redoing a second section on the East side for breeding pens later this summer. And then I'll enclose the "hall way" between the 2 sections to make it more predator proof.

Hope you like it

2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Clay - this is fantastic. We just started our coop this weekend, but only got as far as hauling/shoveling gravel for the base and trying to get a level spot on the hills of Madison County. I'm pea-green with envy of your HUGE space. Wow-- how many chickens will you be able to have -- room for a second level??? Absolutely cool. [​IMG] Mine won't be worthy in comparison, lucky chickens

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Awesome... Wish I had that kind of free space to work with... I think you will have some happy chickies in there.., [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    I plan to keep 20-30 birds in it for now. With the run, actually 2 so I can keep them on fresh forage, that will wrap around the building, I think they'll be happy. If not there is always the stew pot till I get down to a happy number.

No second level but the building is 20x30. So if I need to I can easily (sort of) expand to fill the entire space. I don't think I want that many birds so I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with this for now.

Hey CoopCrazy, my wife grew up in Scipio. Between Columbus and North Vernon.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  5. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Great job, it looks wonderful! And so much space...I am envious!

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    [​IMG]

7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Beautiful. So much work. You should be proud!

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    WOW that's perfect, really very beautiful job, well done. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Awesome job! We're getting ready to tackle our own barn project. Materials have been ordered and are on the way. Thanks for the very much needed inspiration.

10. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Scipio's one of my old stomping grounds.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by