It's freezing outside

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wing & A Prayer Farm, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Wing & A Prayer Farm

Wing & A Prayer Farm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Manchester, TN
    Our temps are freezing outside & we feel so bad for our chickens.. Is it more harmful or helpful if we give them warm water in their waterer a few times a day to help warm them up?? It's our first time raising chickens & surely our first winter... Just asking advice on how to help them get through it without running to walmart & buying coats & scarfs lol... But any advice would be appreciated.. Thanks

2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    They have little down jackets. Don't worry. Just make sure they are not exposed to drafts and fresh cool water is fine. It's so hard to not spoil those precious babies![​IMG]

3. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    I give mine warm water and also give them a snack before they roost for the night so their crops are nice and full..

4. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I do use warm water just to help melt the ice.
    They also got BOSS and some greens that have gone to seed.

5. Wing & A Prayer Farm

Wing & A Prayer Farm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Manchester, TN
    Thanks for the advice.. They are outside in a run but do have a good warm(heat lamps) coop to go into freely during the day & are closed up at night with (heat lamps still on).. Not being smart but they are eggs layers but with this cold we don't care if we get a single egg but would rather they be alright then lay eggs.. Maybe we're crazy for caring too much but they have kinda become family that just can't come in for a bed to sleep in.. Just wanna do right by them

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  6. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Of course! I have a light on for my babes too. It's probably does more for my anxieties than for their comfort. I got a wireless thermometer for my coop so I could monitor their temps constantly. I worried and fretted over them getting cold until I saw how well they did at 10 below zero! They came busting out of the coop to get some cool fresh air! After their first winter I've learned that they are much tougher than I gave them credit for.

If their water is freezing, I got a heated pet dish to keep access to fresh water.

There's nothing wrong with spoiling our chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by