Its getting close to Thanksgiving and this what I got...advice.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ButchGood, Oct 19, 2013.

1. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I raised 10 Bourbon Reds. Five each from different lineage. I sold 3 unrelated pairs that left me with Two related Toms and Two related Hens unrelated to the Toms. I'm going to keep a Trio for future breeding and one Tom will be a holiday meal. My question is about finishing out the one bird for the holidays. All Four Free Range with all the chickens. I was thinking about putting him in a holding pen to finish him out and feed him a good finishing food to fatten him up. But I don't want him to be unhappy away from the flock and drop weight. The finishing pen I use is in an area where all the birds congregate, and most of the time he can stay in visual contact with some of the birds. Should I just continue with the free range until processing time and get what I get? Or do you think he would be OK and gain weight in the finishing pen by himself?

2. Fat Man

Fat Man Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    May be just herd him into the pen in the morning and start him off on finishing ration and turn him out with his buddies for the rest of the day.

3. chicks and hens2

chicks and hens2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2011
    We butchered our 3 male BBB turkeys in September. they were about 5 1/2 months old. We didn't feed them any differently (no finisher food) they weighed in at between 29- 31 pounds dressed and had the normal amount of fat on them. They were free ranged for several hours a day also we didn't change the feed ratio. So maybe it's not necessary to change anything that you are currently doing now. We kept them together with our female BBB which will be butchered a few days before thanksgiving

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I also don't feed any different before they get processed. They eat the same rations as all the other turkeys. I feed a Turkey starter/grower 22% protein. And they free range 3-4 days a week.

If you want him to be on a finisher I like the idea mentioned above to separate him in the AM to feed him his ration and them turn him back with his pals for the rest of the day. I wouldn't fully separate him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by