It's getting dangerous...

Hiedi

Songster
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
Upstate SC
When my chicks were 1-2 weeks old, I would hold my hand out and encourage them to jump on my hand and arm. I thought this was so cute (at the time). One of my Rhode Island Reds seemed especially found of me. Now they are 11 weeks old and much bigger with sharp claws. The problem is; every time I go in their run, if I stay in there any length of time, they try to fly on me. I bend over to do something, and the next thing I know, I have three pullets on my back. One flew on my head one time. On another occasion, one flew on my shoulder, then I made the mistake of turning my head toward the bird, and it pecked me in the lip. I am a little concerned one will eventually peck me in the eye! Today, I went in there to give them some food, and the Rhode Island Red tried to fly on my arm; I did not have my arm out so as it was falling to the ground, it put a big scratch on my arm. I do realize this is my own fault.
roll.png
Does anyone else have this problem? Is it too late to reverse this behavior?

I havve the same problem but all mine are little banties! But they all run to me when i am in the coop and when I am outside they fly up on me when I sit down to visit.I just figured they are being friendly.

Yeah, I think mine are just being friendly too. Perhaps I am treating them too much like pets, instead of just chickens; but I knew when I got them that I would probably get attached to them. It must be in my genes or something.

I have two that always want to be held. And Often end up with my BO on my shoulder or back.
In my house they ARE pets, not just chickens. So they have been treated as such. I am the only one that they do this to. My daughter and husband can open the brooder top and not have anyone jump up to be held:/

Back
Top Bottom