1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's getting so that you HAVE to check every photo...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rusty Hills Farm, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    ...on ebay! I was just about to bid on some barred rock eggs. Don't know what made me go check google images, but sure enough! I found the very same picture. The photo won an award from Mother Earth News for someone named Robin in Ohio, and it's being used to sell eggs by someone in New Jersey. That is so pathetic. Guess I'll have to forget about ebay like so many others from here have done. They are just not trustworthy!

[​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It is pathetic. If I wanted to buy eggs from you, I want to see your stock. Not a picture that you "stole".

This year on ebay I had somebody steal my writing about my birds, like a description I wrote. I reported them and they got their listing removed.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I would think its pretty much everything on ebay or any other site.
    Folks don't want to post the REAL picture of the item they're selling - because it obviously isn't as good looking as the pic they found on the internet.

4. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I've noticed this ALOT. It really is sad, you expect them to post a representation of THEIR birds not someone elses. I see alot of people stealing the pics that cackle hatchery has on their site. Not sure if those pics are pictured on other poultry sites as well, but alot of cochin egg sellers seem to 'borrow' those pics. [​IMG]
    What a bad rep for poor old New Jersey! Shame on them!!
    I know that even if I'm interested in an auction if I catch that the picture is from elsewhere it ends my interest instantly.

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I emailed them and asked them if there was any reason why they werent posting pictures of their own chickens. Ill see if they reply.

6. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i dont see what the problem is they are just showing the type of chicken theyre trying to sell. a barred rock is a barred rock, maybe there camera is broken

7. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Well to alot of people the quality of the bird is very important, and to not show the actual breeders or representatives of your flock it would indicate them to be no better quality than buying from a hatchery. Some are hoping from private breeders to get better than that.

8. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    oh i see goldensunriseranch, but if they were looking for breeder why were they on ebay?

9. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    i dont see what the problem is they are just showing the type of chicken theyre trying to sell. a barred rock is a barred rock, maybe there camera is broken

I wasn't even looking for eggs. I was looking for an incubator thermometer to replace the one I just broke. Then I saw that photo. The hen was gorgeous, so gorgeous that I thought, "gee, why not? I've always wanted a few barred rocks...and if they look like HER..."

Except they won't look like her because they aren't her eggs. THAT's why I think it's so wrong to post pictures that aren't your own birds. If you don't have your own picture, all in the world you have to say is that the photo is a stock shot. That's honest and above-board and people don't think they are buying something they're not.

H​

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    This was the response I got:

hi, my digital camera is broken i havent gotten a new one yet. i will post pics in future ads. my chickens are actually much more nicer then the one pictured. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by