It's going to be COLD tonight... should I worry?

Bakinbaker

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 26, 2012
Yukon, OK
My 2 ducks that are 8.5 weeks old are outside - have been for 3 weeks (2 weeks full time and 1st week daytime only). Tonight it's actually going to get cold, down to about 29 degrees F actual temp and feel about 6-8 degrees lower than that depending on the wind.

Their "house" for now is a medium-sized dog igloo with a lot of hay, door blocked off so nothing can get in. It's been chilly here in the last few weeks but nothing below around 40 degrees F.

Should I be worried about them? The Pekin is about 7lbs and the Runner is about 3lbs and both seem to have almost all of their feathers except for a little spot that's about half and half. It was chilly during the day today (about 50 degrees F) and I gave them warm water to swim in for their pool - they seemed fine and never got back into their house.

They will likely have been fine. IMO the best answer is watch your ducks, you'll know if they are cold, they simply shiver and cower in a corner.

You sound like they have good protection and that is the key. We were -10C(14F) the other night and in the morning after i removed the ice from my kiddy pools many of the ducks swam, certifying that i needn't worry myself all that much lol

Back
Top Bottom