Its GONE!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smartie_Pants, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've been setting here crying for like 15 minutes now. I had a silkie go broody right after one of my chickens died and only one of the eggs she was on was fertile. It was a silkie mix and it would have hatched on my birthday. I went out to check on the eggs and she always steals one from the underside of the nest box. I got it and noticed the silkie egg was gone. I searched through all the straw in the box, the ground, everywhere. There is not even a piece of shell. Then I looked at the eggs under her again and saw there was yolk all over the other egg.

My mom said it might have been a raccoon or something, but if that was the case it would have taken her or all of the eggs. It must have been either her or another chicken. I am devestated because 2008 was terrible and so many bad things happened to me, and this little chick set to hatch on my birthday was going to kick off 2009, which I have decided to make the best year I've ever had.

I don't know what to do now because she's out there on a nest full of infertile eggs! What should I do? I don't supposed anyone relativly close has silkie, cochin, or ee hatching eggs for a reasonably low price do they? I thought about scraping all the eggs under her and putting in fresh ones, but I don't want any more of the breeds I have that are laying. (Golden Comets, Barred Rock, and a Partrige rock I can't breed due to a deformity in her egg tract.)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    *hugs* I'm so sorry [​IMG]

3. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    It might sound crazy that I cry over an egg, but I get really really really attached to my animals before they are even born. Animals are my passion and I am going to be a vet when I graduate.

4. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Plus it breaks my heart that she'll set out there for a month and end up with nothing. I don't know how chickens feel, but it seems like that would be the same thing as being pregnant for nine months and then having a still born baby. [​IMG]

5. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    Quote:Please don't think thatcrying over your animals is crazy. I cried for hours a few months ago when my favorite rooster died. He was a splash cochin. I LOVED that bird. Out of over 40 bird, he was my buddy. I usually burn my dead birds, but he was buried and I bawled like a baby the whole time.

I hope you feel better soon! [​IMG]

6. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I know how you feel [​IMG] I cried for hours when my Sandy died.

7. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Thanks you guys. Where I live, animals are nothing to people. I'll say something about one of my many handicapped animals and people will say I'm crazy for taking care of them. If I told anyone here I was crying over an animal, they would think I was certifiable.

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    You have other broodys sitting on eggs dont you ?? How many do they have ??

9. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I'm so sorry you lost your egg [​IMG] I cried over mine when my #!%$!^%#$^ houseguest turned the powerstrip off the day before a hatch. It cost me the entire hatch and I bawled.

Here's to hoping the eggs surprise you or someone has extras for you!!
    -Spooky

10. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    She is the only one that's broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by