1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's gonna be 5 degrees F this week will my flock be ok?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by spicywing, Jan 29, 2012.

1. spicywing

spicywing Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Hey folks,

I know this has probably been asked a million times but it's my first season keeping hens and the weather forecast this week predicts a drop to 5 degrees F.
    Electrical heating is not an option so will they be ok from their own heat?
    I have 4 hens and a rooster all in a small coop.

Thanks.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Short answer? Yes.

Longer answer is that chickens have domesticated for 5000 years and for over a 1000 years in cold climates. As long as they are sheltered from the wind, have nice deep litter to dig around in, they'll huddle up and be just fine, Feed them well. They'll burn the calories for heat. Which by the way, is incredible under their feathers and down coats. At below zero temperatures, they are downright hot if you feel them underneath.

3. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    a light bulb is really all you need, but with out electricity there are other things you can do.

make shure they are all huddled together on a wooden roost.
    than rub patrolium jelly on their combs. this will help prevent frost bite.
    make shure thier coop is draft free.
    good luck

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It depends on your coop and breed of chicken. If your coop is drafty then the breeze steals the heat from between their feathers.

Some of my coops are drafty with the winds and when it gets very cold I throw a canvas tarp over the whole thing (hutch) but leaving an air gap for ventilation and that insulates it better.

Some folks on here have coops that are practically houses - insulated and very dry.

Other people use stray or hay bales stacked around the coop as a windbreak.

5. spicywing

Dec 10, 2011
    So they will be fine - That's good news thanks,

6. spicywing

Dec 10, 2011
    The coop isn't drafty so all will be well.

7. Chicken of the Sea

Chicken of the Sea Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2008
    Wellsboro, PA
    Have had chickens on and off for 50 years and never lost one to the cold, never have used any type of heat. I heat the water only. as others have said, the right breed and draft free is all that is required.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by