It's gonna be one of those days...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Jul 4, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Since the weather's been so nice, I've been keeping my 5 banty hens and 1 roo in a big dog pen in the yard. Only problem is the roo starts crowing some mornings at 4am. My neighbors on each side said he doesn't bother them, but it bothers a neighbor two doors down. So to keep the peace, we've been putting the roo in a big dog crate in the garage at night.

The problem is getting him back in the pen in the morning. When I try to get him out of the pen, he does the dance and tries to get me (he scares me LOL). So this morning my DD was still sleeping so I thought if I opened the cage, then opened the pen door (across from the side garage door but about 8 feet away) then he'd run right in to be with his girls.

Silly me...he went around to the OTHER SIDE...couldn't catch him so I opened the pen door and tried to swoosh him around. That didn't work and two hens ran out! I managed to grab the big fishing net and catch the roo, but the hens took off to the rear corner of my fenced-in yard where my neighbor's two dogs were hoping for breakfast.

Now, let me also tell you that my neighbor and I don't really get along and he thinks my chickens are disgusting. He's out there setting up for his big BBQ today and just stood and watched as I ran around in my jammies trying to catch these two hens. Would have been nice if he'd at least have put his dogs in the house, but NO...

DD finally came out to help and I managed to net them both and get them safely into their pens.

How humiliating...just another story to entertain his guests today...

2. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    oh geesh, now your gonna be the "crazy pajama chicken lady"!!

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I hate stupid neighbors. Are you allowed to have chickens where you are? If so, I would get 6 more roosters just to annoy him more. While you're at it, you should get some guineas and peacocks for spite.

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    They already call me the "Chicken Lady". I guess adding "Crazy" fits just fine!

Yes, there's no regulations here against having chickens unless someone complains, just like with dogs/barking/etc.

Best part is just wait until he finds out about the 11 BO girls and the 1 BO boy I have in the coop in the garage! They are only 4 weeks old...when that one starts crowing - look out!

Neighbors on the other side are cool and love the chickens. They ask me all the time when the cow is coming! I hate living in the suburbs...

5. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    oh I would be getting every farm animal known to man.

Do you have a dog? you should get a yappy little dog if you can't have goats and ducks and stuff.
    And do you have little girls that can come over and visit .
    cause the ones about 6 and 7 screech constantly.
    [​IMG]: [​IMG]

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I do have 2 dogs; had 3 until last week. He was always complaining about my Bichon barking (which he did; drove ME nuts). Of course, he couldn't see that his dogs instigated it. So we found him a good home and have two quiet dogs left. (The Bichon also kept peeing in my house which is the real reason he left, just so you don't think I got rid of him because of the barking.)

This is the same guy that screamed at me a couple weeks ago when my nephew got on the riding mower to cut my grass because we didn't pick up the poop and the smell kept "wafting" into his yard...some people have nothing better to do.

His granddaughters are always over swimming in his pool and they DO screach constantly. But I don't complain. Maybe I should start!

7. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    I hear ya ,

I love most of my neighbors but the ones on the right of me drive me crazy, they have at least 3 acres and walk their dogs on a leash as close to my deck as they can get to take a dump.
    While we are sitting on the deck.

I would love to move to the country. Which my little town was till recently, hell we don't even have a stop light. or street lights but we have all kinds of new subdivisions.

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* That's the thing that REALLY gets under my skin-- when you get people who complain about chickens, yet they have 1 or MORE mouthy little furred footballs that yip-yip-yip for HOURS at ALL Hours!!!! Sorry if you have one and loue it. I'm am just not into little dogs. .We have like 6 of 'em around here that are always barking, seems like. . .

9. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    What an [​IMG] unfriendly grouch your neighbor is...and that's so sad.

I have to admit that is a funny story of yours. [​IMG]

I wish a beautiful farm for you someday where the only thing "keeping an eye on you" is well, your rooster(s) and they can crow all day and night!!

Happy Fourth of July!! Have a fun day anyway! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I

10. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Make a mental list of complaints you have against him (so you're prepared), and then everytime he complains to you about something, listen and be helpful. THEN let him know about one thing that's bothering you -- his granddaughters screeching for example, or the thick BBQ smoke 'wafting' over into your yard that you're allergic too. Be nice about it, but it's a subtle way to train someone like him that everytime he complains to you, he's gonna get a complaint back. It works great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by