It's Halloween and one of my hens turned into a witch.

WoodlandWoman

Crowing
16 Years
May 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Actually, it started yesterday. My husband went out into the yard and Bebe was beating the crap out of a couple of the other hens. Another of the hens was hiding from her. She's in the old chicken tractor now, having a time out as an attitude adjustment.

Usually, she only picks on one of the other hens, Suzy, that's the most timid. I always keep a close eye on her and there hasn't been any problem, even with the Suzy molting heavily right now. I've been watching them in the yard and on the coop cam. She's never attacked the others. They've all been getting along especially well this year. I don't know what her problem is this weekend. She's from a hatchery and mixed with something. I guess she's part witch. I usually use a different word in private.
duc.gif

Darn it! I meant to post this in the behavior section! Sorry!

Last edited:
Sorry about your bird.
sad.png
What kind is she? Also, just had to comment on their names. I have a BeBe, only I spell it BeeBee, and I had a Suzy, which I spelled Susie. Funny!

She's been laying eggs for several years. That's a fair question, though!

She was a little more aggressive than the other hens at times when she was younger, but seemed to mellow in the last couple of years. This seemed worse than she ever was, out of the blue. That's what really surprised me! Nothing has changed with the flock, yard or household. They were free ranging at the time. I just don't know.

I figure I'm just going to have to monitor them, once I put them back together. If she gets out of hand, I'll get after her.

Edited to add that Bebe is supposed to be a Faverolles, but I think she is a mix. Her coloring, feathering, egg color and behaviors are that of a mix, not just a poorly bred Faverolles. I've had Faverolles before, as well as the ones I have now.

Last edited:
I once butchered a young roo, or so I thought, because most of them were supposed to go, and he was one of the meanest, obviously not a keeper. Only he was a she. I was so surprised.

That's really strange about the rooster you butchered, that was actually a hen. No matter how long you live with chickens, they can always surprise you. I don't know about hot flashes, but I did joke that maybe she had PMS that day. Maybe she has PMCS. Pretty Mean Chicken Syndrome!
lol.png

I added her back into the flock yesterday and kept a close eye on her. I had to get after her a few times, but then things settled down and she behaved herself. Suzy was her main target yesterday, although the other chickens seemed anxious to be around her at first, too. When they first saw her, they kind of freaked out and ran away from her.

I went on a foraging walk with them, when I first let them all out together. After several attempts to attack were aborted and they were getting along, I sat on the patio for awhile. When I went inside, I turned the coop cam and computer volume way up, so I could hear yard noises. I also checked on them multiple times. So far, so good. I'm keeping a close eye on them when they go back into the coop at night and first thing in the morning, when they are in a more confined space. Suzy is trying very hard to stay away from Bebe, so she won't be a convenient target. Poor girl.

I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. I don't mind them settling their own little squabbles. I just don't want to let extreme aggression go unchecked.

Back
Top Bottom